please use the RUGBY BALL links above to move around the pages





 Contributions of pictures from supporters are especially welcome.

For reports from 2005/06 click here


Moseley 21 Barbarians 15

Last Monday's game should have been against Stourbridge 2's but they contacted us on Friday to say that they couldn’t get a side together.

The ‘strags’ being desperate for a game, we decided to see if we could put together a 'barbarians' side to fulfil the fixture.

Players were provided by Rob Sigley from his 'stable' as well as Camp Hill, Selly Oak and Droitwich who supported the fixture. The side also included a couple of promising North Mids County Under 20's, a couple of our promising colts, Nick Buckley getting a run out and a trawl through some of our ex players completed the invitation side.

Moseley did indeed field a strong squad with all but three of the starting 15 having 1st XV experience. But the 'barbarians' put up a tremendous show and having been 14 - 0 down at half time fought back to take the lead with only a few minutes left of the match. Moseley took the honours at the end 21 - 15 following a fine back's move finished off by ex-Moseley colt scrum half, Nathan Jones.

A very worthwhile exercise that we will seek to repeat next season. As to the injury - Charlie Daniel came off with a shoulder injury that does not seem as bad as at first feared.

Moseley 13 Leeds 38 (HT 13 - 10 )  - February 5th 2007

On Monday night our Development side played host to a very strong Leeds Tykes Development side, which, after a very competitive first half, achieved victory by 38-13. Included in the Leeds side were several players who have lined up in their 1st XV this year, including ex-Moseley player, Lee Hinton, who, after kicking us to defeat in the away 1st team game in the autumn, scored one of the Leeds tries.

The Moseley side was not outclassed, however, and for a side which has not been training or playing regularly together, did rather well for two thirds of the match against opponents, many of whom were full-timers. Indeed Moseley led for most of the first half and at half time playing up the slope, with the forwards playing abrasively, and Greg Macdonald controlling the game well at fly-half. At the start of the second period though, a soft try was conceded, and with Leeds maintaining the tempo, our lads were on the back foot for much of the last third.

Our side included a mixture of players, including some 1st XV Squad members, as well as some of our ex-Colts, who are currently at other clubs, and a number of guest players, including Rob Walton (ex-Bees and Rotherham) at lock, and Kiwi prop Richard Taylor, who is playing his rugby for the all-conquering Bournville side. We hope to get a couple more Monday night fixtures before the end of the season, and aim for these fixtures to be a regular feature for our Development side next year. – John Beale, Director of Rugby

Moseley: P. Coles, C. Lea, R. Sigley, R. Walton, C. Daniell, D. White, S. Halbert, A. Lightowler, A. Higgins, G. MacDonald, A. Coniff, J. Critchlow, C. Holder, J. Aston, O. Winter. Replacements: I. Coles, R. Phillips, P. Norris, M. Evans, N. Burrows, L. Madelin, C. Humphries, S. M’Boa, L. Ward, R. Taylor

Moseley 2ndXV 23 - Blackheath 2ndXV 29 - November 04th 2006

Game played in excellent conditions against a strong Blackheath squad. The score flatters Moseley somewhat as Blackheath were superior in most aspects of play. Their forwards were big, strong and well organised and their backs inventive and quick. Their lack of discipline at the breakdown areas led to a high penalty count against them and this allowed Moseley to relieve pressure and gain some territory.

Moseley’s players were hard working and, despite the pressure, made few individual errors, but couldn’t really get any shape into their game with players having to play out of position and new faces again having to be introduced at late notice. Despite discussion before the game regarding individual tackling the first 20minutes saw Moseley’s players tackling too high and Blackheath consistently powered over the gain line. The subsequent pressure saw organisational errors at the defensive ruck areas and this led to two scores when runners went through the guard areas close to the ruck.

Neither side dominated the set piece areas, with both packs seemingly able to pressure the other team’s ball. From one such pressurised scrum the ball shot out of the back and Blackheath were again able to take advantage and score. Moseley struggled to put any phase ball together and their scores came from individual efforts from Eji Uzoigwe who showed strength and pace to make two strong runs for scores. Half time score – 13 – 22.

The second half saw Moseley playing towards the clubhouse. Territory started to be gained via penalty kicks to touch but Moseley’s catch and drive was inevitably slow in it’s build up and Blackheath countered strongly to deny scoring opportunities. Defensive frailties in individual tackling allowed Blackheath to run from deep when good kicks had been put in behind them but on one occasion, when the kick chase had been better organised, turnover ball was forced at the ruck and Aaron Higgins went over for a score. Confidence improved and Moseley enjoyed their best spell in the game and managed 10 – 15minutes of possession rugby which eventually saw Luke Ward sneak over for a score following another well worked lineout. Blackheath finished strongly and scored the final try of the day following a well-worked backs move.
John Caves - 2ndXV coach

Newbury 2ndXV 33 - Moseley 2ndXV 13 - October 14th 2006
The injury problems besetting the 1stXV squad always have an adverse effect on the 'strags' selection and this week was no exception.  It was thought imperative that the 2's get a game this week so the tough trip to Newbury was made notwithstanding that there were only 16 players available, and some of them had to play out of position.
Newbury fielded a strong side with a good mix of youth and experience that eventually proved too strong for Moseley's makeshift side.  That having been said, Moseley had a good first half and pressurised the home side into a series of errors whilst also building up superiority at the set piece.  Unfortunately most of the possession that resulted could not be put into good effect against a well organised Newbury rush defence.  Newbury posted the first points with a well taken try resulting from sustained pressure from their pack on a series of pick and drives.  Moseley then replied when Aaron Higgins grubbered through the rush defence and gathered well to feed Dean Bick for a try wide out on the left.  Newbury were slowly gaining the upper hand and after a good passage of play engineered an overlap on the right which was executed for a good score and run under the posts.  Moseley finished the half strongly and posted a Chris Buck penalty to make the half time score 14 - 8 to the home side.
Moseley went to sleep for a 10 minute spell immediately after half time and Newbury took advantage to score 2 quick try's, one of which was converted.  The home side's pressure was starting to take effect, especially when they were able to refresh their side by way of a strong bench, and Moseley's tiring players began to make a lot of individual errors.  The set piece was holding up well though and Dean Bick was driven over for a second score following a well worked lineout.  This was Dean's 4th try for the strags in 3 games.  Newbury finished the game strongly and scored the games final points with a strong surge through the middle of Moseley's defence. 
Whilst the result was disappointing there were some positives to be enjoyed.  Dean Bick continues to play well and push for reinstatement to 1st team squad.  Their were excellent performances from the back row of Richie Bignall, Eji Uzoigwe and Charlie Daniell and the outstanding forward on the pitch was Adrian Lightowler, playing out of position in the second row but having tremendous potential as a blindside.  Jimmy Aston completed his first 80 minutes and showed that whilst he could probably do with another 2nd team game or two he could probably be reinstated to the 1's if required next week.


Moseley 2nd/Dev XV  27 - Stourbridge 12 - October 6th 2006

After a break of three weeks Moseley's 2nd/Development XV took to the field on a
wet and windy Friday evening for a much needed match against a young but hard
working Stourbridge squad. Arranging this game for a Friday didn't really help
either side field a strong established side but a fairly entertaining game resulted.
Recent injuries to 1stXV squad members and late call-ups to the senior side meant
that an urgent SOS had to be sent out to our friends at Birmingham University
and two backs duly arrived on the night.

Moseley chose to play up the slope and into a fairly stiff wind in the first half and
made a fairly good fist of it. Chris Buck at fly half marshalled his resources well
and a couple of scores could have resulted if a little more accuracy in the final pass
had been achieved. Stourbridge were contributing well to the game through some
good driving mauls and some penetrating powerful runs by a big unit at outside
centre. They were also unlucky not to score and the pressure they were exerting
resulted in penalties being conceded which were well dispatched for a 6 - 0 lead.

Moseley continued to drive the ball up the field and after a period of pressure and
a penalty kicked for a lineout, Dean Bick was driven over for the first score for the
home side. Shortly afterwards Moseley posted their second try of the night when
a good break up the right saw University debutant Andy Blackmore show excellent
pace to dot down in the corner. Stourbridge came back again with good
passages of enterprising play which again resulted in a penalty converted for a
half time score of Moseley 10 - Stourbridge 9.

Despite further adjustments to Moseley's back line in the second half they
continued to look the likelier to add to their score, and, once Chris Buck had
adjusted to having the conditions in his favour, good territorial advantage began
to be established. Two converted scores for the home side arrived via a close
quarter drive from lock Adrian Lightowler and a well worked backs move finished
off by left winger Chris Humphrey again wide out on the right. Stourbridge's
young players never gave in and forced a further penalty before Chris Buck closed
the scoring with a penalty near the end. A fairly disjointed performance but,
given the circumstances an acceptable one. I am sure the side will be the better
for it when they journey to Newbury next Saturday.

15.Conif;14.Blackmore;13;Ward A.;12.Winter;11.Humphrey;10.Buck;9.Ward.L;
Reps. Lee (Bick); Coles. I.; (Sigley); Grant (Blackwall); Eji (Daniell); Edwards (Winter).

Moseley 2nd/Dev XV 23  Bedford 2nd XV 29 - September 18th 2006
Monday evening’s match between the “Strags” and Bedford was its usual well contested, highly entertaining affair with Bedford rightly edging the game in the last quarter due to superior pace and excellent support play. 

Bedford brought an experienced side that set off at a good pace and played their usual expansive and well drilled game. Moseley contested fiercely throughout and were well worth their lead at one point in the second half, but Bedford took the spoils with an excellent late flurry of points.

The game was played with a fairly strong wind blowing down the ground towards the club house of which Bedford had first use. The first quarter of the game was fairly evenly contested with Moseley working hard to contain Bedford’s well supported attacking moves. Much of this period was played in Moseley’s half with Bedford being unlucky not to have scored on a couple of occasions.

The deadlock was broken when Bedford’s fly half cleverly chipped the onrushing defence and fielded his own kick to score under the posts. The conversion hit the post and was missed.

An exchange of penalties brought the score to 8 – 3 to the visitors and it looked as if Moseley’s hard work would be rewarded with that score being taken into half time with the prospect of use of the elements to come.

It was not to be however as Bedford again set up a multi-phase attack which eventually released their left winger in space 35m out. The player did brilliantly to evade the first two cover tackles and continued his run to beat another two men before scoring under the posts. This time the conversion was successful and the half time score was Bedford 15 – Moseley 3.

After the break Moseley set about using the wind via the boot of fly half Chris Buck to build attacking positions. Following a lineout a number of rucks were set up in midfield. From one of these, Richie Bicknel took advantage of some poor Bedford defending to pick and drive through the middle of the ruck and run in a score from 30m out. The conversion was made.

Shortly afterwards following a good lineout take and drive Dean Bick was at hand to touch down for an unconverted score. Bedford were always dangerous on the counter and were again unlucky not to make their superior pace and support play count.

Moseley edged into the lead with another Buck penalty before Bedford imposed their quality on the game with two late well taken try’s, both of which were converted.

A late unconverted try from prop Roy Davies from another Moseley driven lineout posted the final score of Moseley 23 – Bedford 29.  - John Caves, 2nd XV coach

Next Match Postponed

Next Monday’s scheduled game at home to Coventry on Monday 25th September is now off due to misunderstanding between the clubs regarding venue.


Blackheath 2nds 6 Moseley 2nds 5 - Saturday 9th September 2006

After another long trip down to London (4 hours this week!) this match was just settling down into a good open fast flowing contest when a serious injury to the Blackheath tighthead prop at a scrum brought the game to a halt. With the player not being able to be moved and ambulance, doctors and helicopters in attendance the game was halted from minute 16 (score 0 - 0) for an hour and twenty minutes.

Blackheath were keen not for the game to be abandoned and, as we had had such a difficult journey down there, we decided to stick around and play a final 40mins, which re-commenced at 4.40pm. Moseley started this period well and scored a fine try through Eji Uzoigwe who finished off a well worked break from centres Paul Cox and Ollie Winter. Blackheath were struggling at times but fought their way back into the game with a penalty.

The referee was frustrating players from both sides with some strange interpretations but it was Moseley players who in the end brought about their own downfall with a bout of indiscipline which saw a harshly awarded penalty, awarded against them but outside kicking range, brought into range through back chat to the ref. The kick was dispatched and Blackheath held on during a furious final few minutes to post the victory.

A game that was not very enjoyable for a number of reasons but brought back into perspective by the apparent serious nature of the injury to the Blackheath player. Enquiries will be made over the weekend to check on his status and all concerned with the club will I'm sure wish him a good prognosis and speedy recovery.

post script: we were pleased to see the following report on the Blackheath website a few days later........."Joe is at home and although he has some loss of feeling in his left leg he is as well as can be expected after such a trauma. He tells me he needs a period of time for his neck to stabilise and he is due for re-assessment at the Royal London in 6 weeks time. He will visit the club when he is feeling stronger!! He is mobile but a
little slow, but aren't all props like that


Rosslyn Park Seconds 24  Moseley 2ndXV 26 - Saturday 2nd September 2006

The 'strags' started their 2006/07 season with a hard earned win over a powerful 'Park' outfit which included ex Moseley favourite Simon Brading amongst their talented back line.  It was great to see Simon again, a little thinner on top, a little thicker around the middle, but still a dangerous man with the ball in hand! 

Normal selection problems saw the team change a couple of times during thursday's training session and the strags took to the road with 9 players making their strags debut, two of whom had never trained with the squad before!  The lack of pre-season opportunities for the majority of the squad ensured that this was always going to be a match where effort and enthusiasm triumphed over patience and control, and so it turned out. 

Rosslyn Park proved a very stern test and Moseley did very well to triumph following a late final quarter flourish.  Whilst 'Park' scored some fine try's on the counter attack Moseley just about deserved their victory on the back of a dominant lineout and speedy, if somewhat inaccurate, attacking play. Scores came via hooker Chris Hall, lock Ben Blackwall, flanker Eji Uzoigwe and full back Alex Ward. 

3 conversions by fly half Chris Buck completed the scoring.  Special mention needs to be made of Luke Ward, a colt just turned 18 last month, who had an excellent game at scrum half showing accurate and fast distribution off either hand.  Could be another Moseley star of the future.  The strags are on the road again next week, down to London again for Blackheath. - John Caves - 2ndXV coach







































Hit Counter