please use the rugby ball links above to move around the Colts pages




Photos and reports from Colts games will be carried here - Contributions from parents/supporters always welcomed.


photo : The Colts in action in the 2005 National Cup Final against Harlequins

The Colts in action in the 2005 National Cup Final against Harlequins



Hinckley Colts 13 Moseley Colts 5
A patched up Colts side, with only 4 subs, travelled to Lutterworth to play this end of season game believing they were to face a young Hinckley side,-wrong! They were confronted by 30+ players who all wanted a piece of the action and got it.

Moseley played with the wind in the 1st half against what was probably the younger group, and had the lion's share of the ball, but only 1 try to show for their efforts when Nash Maphosa, making his first start for Moseley at 7, touched down following a backrow play and drive. Another 25 minutes of play were to pass before the next score was posted, this being a penalty kick to the opposition.

The second half saw the mass change of personnel in the Hinckley ranks and as the visitors tired so the older players opposing them gained control. Another penalty and converted try were enough to take the game from Moseley's reach and the lead was never seriously threatened.

So, a hard end to what has been a very hard season, with more injuries sustained than in any recent season. Well done to all the squad this year and good luck to those lads who now leave the Colts Section.

Moseley Colts 67 Dudley Kingswinford Colts 0 - March 25th 2006
With the intensity of recent matches removed, i.e. cup matches/friendlies v. Bath, Moseley enjoyed their afternoon at Billesley to record an 11 try win. The teams had mixed fortunes last week in their respective North Midland Cup semi-finals with D.K. reaching the final by beating Stourbridge, and Moseley exiting the competition courtesy of Worcester.

The visitors were not at full strength but Moseley for their part were missing six players due to injury. Five tries arrived in the first half, the first two during the opening 9 minutes, with the remainder following a 20 minute lull in the scoring. The second half saw scores posted at fairly regular intervals as Moseley dominated throughout. Some good rugby was served up, the result of which was the 11 tries.

Following a disappointing couple of months with serious injuries and poor results it was good to see the squad enjoy the game with forwards/backs sharing the tries 4/7 with 8 different scorers. It was also pleasing to be able to field a number of U17s, and a further new recruit, and still keep a shape on the game.
Try scorers; Burrows(3),Edwards O.(2),Larkin,Solomon,Knight,Duckers,Savage and Edwards D.

Worcester Colts 13  Moseley Colts 5   - March 19th 2006

Moseley went out of the North Midlands Cup in this close encounter at Sixways.
With the scores at 5-5 at half-time and then enjoying about 70-30 in territory during the 2nd half, Moseley should have been capable of winning but instead conceded a penalty and another try.

A good forward drive early in the game gave the visitors the lead with John Duckers touching down. This was levelled 20 minutes into the game when missed blindside tackles off a scrum let the no.8 in at the corner.

A major problem for Moseley throughout the whole game however was the inability to win any lineout ball and this was a severe blow because the opposition were always happy to kick for touch knowing that they would probably still get the ball back. Even given this obstacle Moseley were in with a shout but another missed tackle from a scrum, this time on the openside, let the no.8 again make inroads to set up a score.

Plenty of effort, lack of cutting edge ,critical tackles missed, and oh those lineouts !!

Bath U19s 43  Moseley Colts 10   - January 25th 2006


Moseley travelled to Bath on Saturday knowing that they were facing the toughest assignment of the season but determined to commit themselves fully.

No one could doubt their resolve and a good competitive game was played out -but the Bath Academy side were well worth their win.

Unfortunately the visitors were slow to start and found themselves on the receiving end of 3 tries, 2 being converted, within the first 12 minutes. The main reasons for the scores being the failure to recognise the small number of opposition players being committed to the breakdown and thus being outnumbered when the ball was recycled, and some missed first up tackles.

Being 19 points down so early might have finished some sides but to their credit the players set about their task and started to make an impression on the game.

The forwards began to win more ball and by keeping it tight with some good driving play, managed to make the opposition bring more players back to the breakdowns. The result of this was some pressure in the Bath half which led to the home side giving away penalties. From one such infringement after 20 minutes, the Moseley pack carried the ball forward to good effect and crossed the try-line for John Duckers to record their first points.

A further 8 minutes later Bath were in for another try to make it 24-5 and with no more scores that was how the half ended.

Once again Moseley were slow to start and were punished by more clinical finishing by their opponents to see the score rise to 29-5. Again there was no faulting the endeavour in this Moseley side and they hauled themselves back into the game and competed manfully for another 20 minutes when a breakaway try put them further behind at 36-5.

Another Bath try followed together with the conversion and the visitors might then have accepted that the game was over. Not so, because they went back on the attack, secured enough possession in the right area of the pitch and were rewarded with the last score of the game from Ollie Edwards.

In conclusion then, a game in which the opposition were at a different level but that is what one would expect from a premiership academy side. What Moseley can continue to do however is to show that they are still able to provide competitive games to quality opposition and this by trying to play good rugby.

Finally, fullback Mark Coulson sustained a serious injury to his arm which resulted in him having to stay in Bath to have surgery to pin & plate the broken bones. We wish him a speedy recovery. We would also wish to thank the Bath Academy Staff who were not only generally hospitable during our visit but excellent in their concern for Mark and their follow-up phone calls. Thanks a lot, we appreciate it and look forward to seeing you next season.

P.S. The Bath match report noted that "The score slightly flattered Bath as for long periods Mosley had the home side on the back foot, however the superior speed of the Bath backs eventually told." and that "With ten minutes left on the clock, Mosley scored a very good team try with almost all their players handling the ball."

Worcester Colts 7  Moseley Colts 12   - January 25th 2006

Moseley achieved the season double over their local rivals with this reasonably comfortable win. Although the score line was close, two or three further scores were lost with a ball dropped, and a couple of hold-ups, over the line.

A very strong wind greeted the players in this match and Moseley played into it in the first period. Worcester had the better of the early exchanges and were able to push the visitors back with the benefit of the wind. However, it wasn't long before Moseley started to carry the ball forward with good results. The home side gave away a number of penalties trying to defend and consequently Moseley enjoyed a lot of the play. The wind being so strong however meant that no great distance could be gained up the touchline and kicks for goal were out.

On 15 minutes the first reward for their efforts came with an excellent display of driving rugby that took the ball from around the visitors 10 metre line to force a penalty on the opposition 5 metre line. The resultant forward carry gave Nigel Burrows the try which Mark Coulson converted.

The game carried on in much the same vein with Moseley generally in charge for much of the time but errors in the final 22 and some tighter defence stopped the score increasing. Of course, in these conditions the hard work of gaining metre after metre could be nullified with one mistake which could send you back to where you started, or further!

From one such situation, with about 7 minutes remaining, Moseley were penalised in their own 22 and Burrows was yellow-carded for hands in the ruck. Only 3 minutes later loosehead James Thomas followed him for a similar offence. A 2 man deficit was too much for the visitors to overcome and Worcester took full advantage to score a converted try.

The first half finished 7-7 and Moseley had definitely performed well in the conditions. Thoughts of the 2nd half in the National Cup came to mind, when defeat had been snatched from the jaws of victory by ignoring the use of the wind. Would the lesson have been learned?

The first objective was to ensure no further scores were conceded whilst under-strength. This being successfully accomplished, Moseley kept the opposition under pressure for good periods and were only denied by close calls on the line. One try was scored following a number of phases with Ollie Edwards outpacing the cover.
As it happened, the use of the wind from within the visitors half was not a huge factor as play was not often in that area but the effect of such tactics was made clear to the players when U17 debutant fly-half Jamie Oliver moved play from outside the Moseley 22 to inside the opposition 22 on one occasion.

A welcome return to winning ways then, but with Bath away next, a big step up in intensity is required. Finally, Moseley may be 2 up on Worcester this season but the 3rd meeting of the sides will take part in 3 weeks time when a return to Sixways in the semi-final of the North Midlands Cup will be the result that counts.

Moseley Colts 10   West Hartlepool Colts 13 - January 14th 2006

Moseley's interest in this years National Colts Cup came to a disappointing conclusion with this narrow defeat to their visitors from the north-east.
Leading 10-3 at the break and going down the slope in the second period, the plan was simple; 1/ play the game in the opposition final quarter by kicking for position, and 2/ give no penalties away. Both these instructions were ignored, the ball was run (attempted) from well within the home half with no ground being gained and the penalty count was awful. Result, no pressure on the opposition were it hurts and little continuity in the Moseley play.

The first half saw Moseley under severe pressure for the opening 10 minutes as W. Hartlepool started very strongly. Sound defence by the home side however withstood these early exchanges and the game became a very even contest. The early injury to inside-centre Matt Durber (yet another to add to the list) was a big blow but gradually the home side began to gain a bigger share of the play.

Finally, the stalemate was broken in the 29th minute when Mark Coulson kicked a penalty to give Moseley a 3 point lead. Immediately, pressure was again applied in the visitors 22 and this led to another penalty which the forwards drove forward to cross the line, Lee Madelin getting the touchdown and Coulson converting. The final 5 minutes of the half saw Moseley giving away silly penalties, one of which was kicked to give a half-time score of 10-3.

The rest is now history as a game that was there to be won was lost due to the previously mentioned shortcomings. It would be wrong to give no credit to West Hartlepool however because from being down at the break they were good enough to take advantage of the Moseley play to push up the pitch on many occasions through good kicking and then keep the home side there. Well done to their squad and coaches and good luck in the next round.

Although the result went awry, there were a number of decent individual performances from Moseley players and none more so than from James Thomas. James is one of those unsung players who goes quietly about his game fulfilling his team duties. He has developed into a very sound player whose name is amongst the first on the team sheet and his worth to the team is clear. On Saturday he led from the front, well done James.

Nottingham Colts 29 Moseley Colts 5  - January 14th 2006

With only 2 games in the previous 8 weeks and 2 blank weeks to come prior to the National Cup match against West Hartlepool, Moseley were glad to arrange a fixture with their East Midlands rivals at Beeston.
With 5 players absent through injury etc. the opportunity arose to give the remainder of the squad time on the pitch, a real problem when not playing regular matches. The opposition fielded a massive pack and it was obvious that the strong Moseley forwards would have plenty to deal with and needed to start well. They didn't, and the home side took full advantage of the fact.

Within the first 15-20 minutes they sliced open the Moseley backs through a combination of excellent handling and non-existent tackling to score 3 tries.
Only after this disastrous start did the visiting forwards begin to get their act together and bring themselves back into the game. There was a further score for Notts. but to their credit Moseley got themselves onto the scoreboard just before half-time with a forward carry from a penalty, releasing Ollie Edwards to cross the line in the corner.

The second half was a much more competitive period with the visitors putting far more pressure on and keeping the play at the Notts. end for a lengthy spell. With no cutting edge behind the scrum however the efforts were rather one dimensional and no points were registered. Having held firm, the home side were able to capitalise on an attack and posted a further score.

So, the side beaten by a decent outfit on the day, some valuable time on the pitch, but...another clutch of injuries which are now reaching epidemic proportions and threatening the squad strength and the build-up to the cup match.
Still, the lads reached the final last year on a diet of poor training facilities, no perks and patched up sides. Lets hope they are as hungry this time.

Moseley Colts 36 Scunthorpe Colts 0 - January 14th 2006
A convincing victory over their northern visitors saw Moseley  into the 5th round of the National Colts Cup. Scunthorpe, a NL&D side but recently moved into the Yorkshire leagues, arrived with a good playing record but found the going very tough from the outset.

The strong Moseley pack took the upper hand from the start and, playing up the slope, forced Scunthorpe on to the defensive. Within 3 minutes, a good Moseley lineout play brought about a penalty which Mark Coulson duly converted.

On 7 minutes the next score was registered when, from strong driving play by the forwards, debutant hooker Llyr Lloyd broke away around the opposition 10 metres and outpaced the defence. Coulson converted to make it 10-0 and a great start to the game.

More scores should have followed but a combination of solid midfield tackling and general determination from Scunthorpe and a little rustiness on Moseley's part ( only 1 game in December and 0 this year ) meant the scoreboard wasn`t troubled again until the home side inflicted a hammer blow immediately before half-time.

One of the best plays of the game saw several phases of play before Matt Larkin sliced through the opposition midfield to score under the posts. With Coulson again being successful, the score at the break was 17-0 and with the slope to come, Moseley  were in a very strong position.

The second half was dominated completely by the powerful Moseley  pack who picked and drove close with increasing success as the opposition began to tire.
Within the first 5 minutes the Moseley 9, David Gregory made a sharp break following a series of plays and a free-kick was conceded. The pack carried the ball forward and Scunthorpe, under serious pressure infringed again with massive consequences. Their prop was yellow-carded and the Moseley pack carried the ball to give Nigel Burrows the touchdown and Coulson his fourth success of the day.

Now Scunthorpe were under almost constant pressure and found it very difficult to get away from their line. They were to their credit, turning over a number of balls but were unable then to keep possession. Constant pressure gave the Moseley  9 another sharp break which the forwards again latched onto for Robin Bayliss to get the final touchdown. With another conversion from Coulson the score was now 31-0.

It was during one of the home sides excellent driving plays that 2nd row Mark Newton sustained a serious injury. The maul which he was leading had travelled a good distance when it was brought down and he suffered a broken collar-bone. This is a 3 month injury and very unfortunate for the player and the squad.

Finally from some broken play again near the Scunthorpe line, Jake Savage, now at outside centre instead of in the 10 shirt, collected the ball and went in wide out. With the kick being missed the final score was 36-0 and Moseley safe through to the 5th round where they will face West Hartlepool, again at home. Well done the squad!

Barkers Butts Colts 15 Moseley Colts 12 - November 27th 2005

A last minute penalty goal condemned Moseley to their third defeat of the season in this ill-tempered game. The visitors expected a hard afternoon particularly at the breakdown and that's exactly what they were given. From the kick-off, anything that was on the ground was given some fairly typical Warwickshire treatment. The problem was that the referee allowed it to pass thereby inviting retaliation. The game was never allowed to prosper in these circumstances and very little watch-able rugby was produced.

The home side were on the board first with a catch and drive at a lineout bringing an unconverted try. Late in the half
Moseley replied with a forward drive off a short line-out that led to Ryan Large touching down. This was unconverted so the half ended at 5-5.

Less than 10 minutes into the 2nd period, a loose kick into the
Moseley half saw Antonio Solomon gather the ball and embark on an elusive 50 metre run to score under the posts. With Mark Coulson being successful with the kick and the forwards finally gaining some ascendancy over their opposite numbers, it seemed that steady percentage rugby would probably carry the day.

With about 10 minutes to go however the outcome of the game was brought into question.
Moseley had considerable pressure on the opposition line through their forwards and would almost certainly have scored again if they had kept the ball tight. They chose to put the ball out, it was fumbled from a poor pass and cleared upfield. Even then there was the opportunity to put the ball back into the home side corner but a panicky piece of trying to step out of trouble handed the ball to the onrushing opposition who then delightedly scored wide out. To compound the error the kick was successful and it was 12-12 going into the final 5 minutes.

The last meaningful act of the game saw some awful inconsistency in officiating. The play was about 30 metres out from the visitors line, the opposition were penalised for an infringement at the breakdown but a
Moseley player was then adjudged to have trodden on one of the opposition. The decision was reversed, the Moseley player red-carded and the penalty kicked. This would have been deemed harsh but acceptable except that in an virtually similar situation shortly before but with the roles reversed, no card was issued and no penalty turned around !!

With the New Year just around the corner and the next round of the National Cup coming up, certain lessons have to be taken on board if the squad is to continue in its quest to emulate the "class of 2004/5.
Training will continue this week as normal but only one session will take place during the following week on Friday 30th at 12 noon.( To be confirmed.)
A Merry Xmas to players and supporters.

Moseley Colts 19 Bath U19s 43 - November 27th 2005

Saturday brought the welcome visit of Bath, the Colts toughest assignment of the season. An early kick off offered the possibility of using the main pitch but three full scale matches inside 24 hours was felt to be unwise and the game therefore took place on the "Colts" pitch.
Preparations during the week had been "full on" in anticipation of the big step up from recent fixtures, and had concentrated on speed of thought and action particularly in defence.

The players were advised that this fixture was one to be relished with the prospect of pitting themselves against top players and seeing how they measured up against them. The simple truth was that a number of players fell short of the mark by giving the opposition room to play and missing 1st up tackles. On several occasions the Bath backs broke through poor or non-existent tackling to score tries without having to work through phases of play to get them. Of the six tries, the
Moseley side had to retire to their try-line from a distance on at least four occasions.

In fairness to the backs, the season started with hardly any semblance of a line and new players have been recruited and drafted in almost by the week. This has been quite disruptive to training with positions being swapped and "bedding-in" processes having to be constantly repeated. There are however not many excuses for poor tackling.

The game was not all gloom however because from being hit with some easy scores, the home side rallied and showed that they can score tries themselves. The difference was that the
Moseley scores came from playing phases and thereby creating pressure on the opposition. After a nervous and hurried start, the forwards won possession throughout and carried the ball to the Bath pack with growing confidence, so much so that two of the scores were the result of driving plays, with Lee Madelin on the end of both. The third try came from harrying the opposition on their own line and Matt Durber touched down a loose ball. Mark Coulson converted two of the tries.

A good game overall. The opposition backs impressive, and made to look even better, their forwards not as good as last year and outplayed to some extent (subjective). The players will now have an idea of where they stand relative to class opposition. For some this will already be the pinnacle of their careers, others will know the level to which they must raise their game to compete, and some now know that they can succeed in playing good class rugby if they work hard.
Moseley Colts now move on with important areas of work identified for the lead up to the New Year and the next round of the National Cup.

Dudley Kingswinford Colts 0 Moseley Colts 29 - November 19th 2005

On a day when early frost and fog gave way to sunny autumn weather, Moseley Colts did justice to the day by turning in a powerful display. They overwhelmed their local rivals who were themselves boasting an unbeaten 8 match season to date including a fine National Cup win over Worcester Wanderers.

The match started at a fast pace with both sides looking to play good rugby. This was affected somewhat by a number of refereeing decisions which were possibly due to the official making his mark on the game, but which stopped any early flow developing.

Moseley were winning the larger share of possession but the DK defence particularly in midfield was strong. It took until the 27th minute for the first score to be registered and it came following increasing pressure on the home side.

Moseley scrummaging produced a ball against the head and Nigel Burrows, the no.8, picked up at the base and drove into the home defence. Good support play from his backrow colleagues led to Lee Madelin touching down. Mark Coulson, the Colts latest recruit at no.10, converted to bring the score to 0-7.

Immediately from the restart, Ryan Large caught and opened up play with a good offload to Madelin who went 30 metres before being stopped. The ball was quickly recycled in a move in which Matt Durber featured twice, the second time being when he touched down. Coulson again converted, this time from wide out. Two conversions !! Something of a luxury this season for the Colts who have struggled in the kicking stakes.

Half-time,14-0 up and the feeling was that more scores were on the cards as long as penalties weren't needlessly conceded and shape and pace were maintained.

Within two minutes the pattern was set as early pressure on the home side saw a turnover and the
Moseley 10 made a good break to put Durber away for his second try of the game. Most of the second half was defined by the amount of decent possession that Moseley enjoyed, the variety of the attacks through the backrow leading to the ball being moved wide and on the other hand the scrappy nature of the DK ball but also their defiant defence which held the score down.

Quarter of an hour into the half another backrow play off a scrum close to the home side's line gave Madelin his second score. Finally, a loose ball was scooped up by Jake Savage following some scrappy play, to give the outside centre a try. Unfortunately all the second half tries were unconverted. Not quite out of the woods there then!

A very pleasing display by the lads and one to boost the morale going into next weeks appointment with our visitors from the south-west, Bath. A very big step up in terms of physical confrontation and speed of both play and thought process. One to be looked forward to with relish!

The kick-off has been brought forward to 1pm with the possibility of playing on the main pitch if the weather is favourable. Don't hold your breath, given the forecast!

Moseley Colts 10 Nottingham Colts 7 - November 12th  2005

The opposition arrived on Saturday claiming a very depleted squad with only a couple of replacements and only deciding to fulfil the fixture on Thursday evening.

This was appreciated by us because the object of the exercise is to have our teams playing. We were able to help a little because we were short of 10 of our squad also. What was plain to see however, was that the Nottingham pack was HUGE and on a day when
Moseley fielded their smallest front row.

This was not a good game, consisting for the most part of one phase rugby. Too many times, the home side were penalised for a variety of infringements or lost the ball in combat with opponents who had far more upper body strength. The opposition for their part seemed unable to do much with the ball once they had won it.

Moseley scored first after 15 minutes when they turned a ball over on the opposition 22, moved it quickly to Antonio Solomon on the wing and he did very well to get the touch down in the corner. The conversion was unsuccessful.

Eleven minutes into the second half
Moseley had a lineout on the opposition 10 metres, lost it and watched as the ball was transferred to the far wing who sped up the pitch to score. Shades of the previous week! To rub salt into the wound the kick sailed over.

There weren’t many positives to take from the day, winning aside, but a big one followed. Twenty odd minutes into the half and 5-7 down
Moseley had camped on the Notts line and were retaining the ball. There were penalties and scrums but the home side were finding it tough to make the final metre.

Another scrum was awarded to
Moseley and the opposition coach took the opportunity to disparage the home side pack for some reason enquiring what they were going to do when they had to play senior rugby. He received an immediate riposte when, from a good scrum the ball was transferred across the backs for Matt Larkin to score in the opposite corner.

A win is always good but lessons were there to be learned especially about playing against much bigger opponents. Don’t arm-wrestle them one on one, use pace, good technique and playing in twos and threes.

The next match is a local derby against our friends from Dudley Kingswinford, and is away not home as per the fixture list.

Moseley Colts 29 Lichfield Colts 10 - November 5th 2005

Passage through to the national rounds of the K.O. Cup after Xmas was Moseley's reward for this justly deserved win, although it took until the final third of the game to overcome their capable opponents. Down the slope and into the wind is an unlikely combination on the colts pitch but that was the scenario presented to the home side after the visitors had won the toss. It was fairly obvious from the start that Lichfield were not at Billesley to make up the numbers, but harboured ambition of their own to progress in the competition.

The game opened at a good pace and both sides were winning a share of the ball. Lichfield for their part had a strong set of backs, playing off a very good fly half, who were nullifying ball played through the Moseley backs. Their tackling was stopping the home side getting into their stride and from the Moseley viewpoint it was rather disjointed.

Twenty minutes into the half the first points were registered when Moseley conceded a penalty deep in opposition territory. Lichfield tapped and went, whilst a number of the opposition were asleep, and ran 70 metres to outpace the remaining defence. The kick was converted to give Lichfield the lead 0-7. Word was passed to the Moseley forwards to take on their opponents more, both through pick and drive and from the back-row.

This paid dividends almost immediately when from a pick up from the base of the scrum the ball was transferred to Ollie Edwards who crossed for Moseley's first try. Within another five minutes a carry by the powerful home forwards, 30 metres out, led to lock Mark Newton getting the final touch. The last 10 minutes of the half saw more competitive play by both sides, but without troubling the scoreboard, as defences held firm.

Lichfield made the first move of the second half when taking advantage of a Moseley transgression at a breakdown and slotting the penalty. The game was undergoing a change however with constant pressure from the Moseley forwards wearing down their opponents defences, and holes beginning to appear. Also having a bearing on the game was the ability of the home side to allow Lichfield no time in the Moseley  22. The first available ball was sent 50-60 metres back up the slope and consequently morale rose for the home side with the opposite effect for the opposition. Fourteen minutes into the half, one such relieving kick put Moseley in a strong attacking position and from an ensuing scrum the ball was again deposited into the hands of Ollie Edwards to earn his second try of the day.

Five minutes more brought another try when forward carries again ended with the ball in the hands of the winger, Joe Knight being the finisher this time. A first successful conversion went to Ollie Edwards to make the score 22-10. Three minutes later and the home side were cutting loose when harrying pressure from the Moseley  centres forced a spilt ball in front of their opponents posts and flanker Fred Rodwell was on hand to scoop it up and dive over, Edwards again being successful with the kick. With no further scores 29-6 was a good result for the team.

The only downside to the day was a series of injuries to key players that may disrupt the progress of the side given that the next three games are all hard ones. As far as this cup competition is concerned the next round will be in early January

Birmingham Uni. Freshers 14 Moseley Colts 15 - 29th October 2005

Bournbrook was the venue for this annual fixture and with added spice this season because as well as the students being under the guidance of our colleague Terry Malins (Moseley’s 2nd/Dev and Under 17 coach), the Moseley squad featured 5 University freshers. A day when some pleasantries might be exchanged perhaps!

Moseley was quickly on top at the start and, playing into the wind, forced a penalty inside the opposition 22. Electing to play through the forwards the forwards twice recycled the ball and released tit o the backs for Matt Durber to touch down. The kick was unsuccessful.

Within 5 minutes the Uni. had been awarded a penalty of its own and three points were duly added. Eight minutes gone and the score stood at 3-5.

More Moseley pressure followed, the students were having trouble coping with it and conceded a further penalty. Once again the kick was spurned in favour of using the pack and once again it was successful. A couple of phases and the grateful recipient this time was Ollie Edwards. Unfortunately no conversion followed.

Almost as a replay of what had gone before, the home side increased its points tally with a penalty. Twenty minutes into the game and with the score at 6-10.

Moseley was definitely having the better of it and so it continued with pressure forcing yet another penalty. No prizes for guessing that the visitors again went for a try rather than the kick and Edwards was again over the line but once again the conversion was missed.

Although the score was still close at 6-15 the make-up of the points told the story, - 2 penalties to 3 tries. It was around the half hour mark that the game began to change when on a line-out deep in its own half, Moseley chose to run the ball out. However this was done badly, the ball was spilt and the students eagerly took the opportunity to record the Uni’s first try which was unconverted.

Somewhat knocked out of their stride Moseley infringed at a breakdown and from 40 metres the Uni. kicker brought his side to within 1 point of the visitors.

The second half was a poor affair and no more scores arrived, although Moseley should have registered another try from a well worked lineout but the ball was knocked on in the final pass. The Uni. for their part came more into the game and only resolute defence prevented them scoring.

However frustrations with refereeing decisions particularly at the break down was encouraging the aforementioned pleasantries to come to the fore, finally leading to a mass brawl. A pity because the game was competitive and deserved better.

The Colts next fixture is this Saturday at Billesley when the opposition will be Lichfield in the 3rd round of the Nat. Cup.

Wolverhampton 10 Moseley 34 - National U19 Colts Cup October 15th 2005

Playing at Castlecroft on a pleasant autumn afternoon, Moseley progressed through to the 3rd round of the National Cup without too many problems. The Wolverhampton players were game, defended well and never let their heads drop, but couldn’t match their opponents in ability, power or pace.

Moseley dominated almost throughout, had the major share of possession and should have scored more points but at times again took wrong options when simple movement of the ball would have sufficed.

The 1st half started well with Moseley playing at pace and winning phase after phase, only the occasional penalty or poor final pass/catch preventing a score.

Twelve minutes into the half saw Moseley opt to take a penalty through the forwards for Lee Madelin to touch down. Ollie Edwards converted. Within 2 minutes another score had arrived in a totally different fashion.

From a Wolverhampton scrum inside Moseley’s 10 metre line, pressure forced the ball to squirt out, Dave Edwards the Moseley no.9, scooped it up and ran 30 metres before giving an excellent offload to his namesake Ollie who ran in for the score.

The game followed a predictable pattern for the next 15 minutes with the Moseley forwards dominating affairs up front but no further scores arriving. However, from a rare visit inside their 10 metres, Moseley infringed and the Wolverhampton kicker made no mistake with the penalty to make it 3-12 with 5 minutes to go.

This score seemed to spur Moseley on and they immediately went back on the attack to force another penalty. The kick was spurned in favour of another forward play which again was successful, Madelin once more touching down. Half-time score 3-17.

The 2nd half brought more of the same with Moseley pressing at every opportunity, The hard, direct running of the Moseley players was taking its toll of the opposition and from a scrum inside the Wolves 22, Nigel Burrows was finally rewarded for his persistence when he picked up at the base of the scrum and forced his way over. Edwards (O) kicked the conversion.

Twelve minutes into the half, the best try of the match arrived when a succession of phases took the ball into the home sides 22; the ball was swiftly recycled to be passed through four pairs of hands for Joe Knight to finish the play in the corner.

This try showed that the ability to move the ball was there and should have been utilised on more occasions earlier in the match. With the score at 3-29 the game was surely safe but it was only a few minutes later that Moseley were to be taught a salutary lesson. Never lose concentration assuming that the game is over.

No one told Wolverhampton that they shouldn’t keep trying and from a penalty against Moseley around the home side 10 metres a quick tap saw the ball transferred to the winger who went through three sloppy attempted tackles, outpaced the cover and rounded the fullback to score. More cover may have been available if the players in the middle of the park had made any sort of effort to get back 10 metres at the penalty.

A communal lack of concentration then and a lesson that has hopefully been learned when no serious damage has been done. Seriously embarrassed, the side regrouped to use the final minutes to once again carry the game into their opponents 22 and force more errors to gain a further penalty. Once again the forwards elected to carry the ball up - this time releasing Knight on the wing for his 2nd try of the match.

In the 3rd round Moseley has a home tie against Lichfield who started the season well, being unbeaten to date.

Tamworth Colts 5 Moseley Colts 56 - October 08 2005

With 10 tries being scored on a very wet day, only 2 of which were converted, it seems churlish to be too critical. However... playing against a less accomplished, but nonetheless committed opposition, Moseley scorned the opportunity to overwhelm them in the 2nd half by a mixture of poor decision making, and team-play giving way to individualism. Pre-match talk had concentrated on maintaining shape and playing phases and to be fair a number of very good scores arrived by that means, but it is in this type of match that good habits can be practiced and perfected.

There's the makings of a very good squad this year but 5 games into the season certain recurring deficiencies are evident and will need to be addressed in order that the potential is fulfilled. Encouragingly, we have been more successful in recruiting players than in previous years and 8 new lads have been included, 6 in the last 2 matches, which has certainly given more depth to the squad as well as added class in a couple of positions.

Try scorers on Saturday were Joe Knight (4),Ollie Edwards (3), John Duckers, Nigel Burrows and Matt Durbar, Edwards converting twice.
Next week sees the return to the National Cup trail so successfully trodden last year, with an away fixture against Wolverhampton.

Moseley Colts 29 Bedford Colts 12 - October 01 2005

Not all the exciting rugby fare was being displayed in the main arena yesterday because this years U19`s squad were showing their skills on the adjacent pitch.

Meetings with this weeks opponents are generally of a high calibre and this was no exception, but whereas during the past two years Moseley have been slow to adapt to a fast game, this time they were out of their blocks running.

Playing up the slope and against the wind, Moseley were awarded an early free kick. Debutant scrum half James Homer took it quickly bringing his forwards into action and two sharp recycles later the ball was being touched down by openside Lee Madelin.  40 seconds on the clock and the 5-0 scoreline showed that the players had learnt the lesson of starting well.

Moseley continued to take the game to Bedford even though slope and wind were against them and only sound defence prevented a further home score.

The opposition were looking to run the ball at every opportunity that presented and the game was therefore keenly fought, but Moseley’s defensive pressure meant that the ball was spilt on a number of occasions and no continuity was available to Bedford.

One mistake however, leading to a turnover around Moseley’s 10 metres, led to a rapid attack on the home line, and a series of penalties gave Bedford a converted try a little against the run of play. A succession of good plays by the home side now led to a penalty close to Bedford’s line and a well rehearsed forward play led to Madelin securing his 2nd try of the game.

Half time 10-7 to Moseley, which against this opposition, the wind and slope is very good going!

Playing the slope well, Moseley spent the first 10 minutes of the 2nd half pressing the Bedford line without points to show for it.

The pressure was bound to tell however and a poor relieving kick dropped short to Ollie Edwards who needed no further invitation to attack the line and feed Jake Savage the scoring pass.

Four minutes later the scoreboard was again in action as Moseley secured good possession to again free Edwards around the Bedford 22 to score a well deserved try which he converted.

The game had assumed a pattern of Moseley pressure through varied attacks and it wasn’t long before the next score arrived with more good phases of play being finished off with a Matt Larkin try, Edwards again converting.

With 15 minutes to go and several substitutions having been made, Moseley’s shape was lost for a short spell and, showing that they hadn’t given up on the game, Bedford came back with a converted try to make it 29-14.The final stages were fairly evenly matched and no more scores arrived.

A good competitive game which pleased players, coaches and supporters alike.














Hit Counter

since Oct 5th 2006