please use the rugby ball links above to move around the Colts pages




Photos and reports from Colts games will be carried here - Contributions from parents/supporters always welcomed.


photo : The Colts in action in the 2005 National Cup Final against Harlequins

The Colts in action in the 2005 National Cup Final against Harlequins



Moseley 10 Worcester 17 - Colts North Midlands Cup semi-final

Report follows - photos here


Moseley 79 Sheffield 3 - English Clubs Colts National Plate

Moseley Colts coasted through to the semi-finals of the National Plate competition with this resounding victory. Their Northern opposition had no answer to the home side’s superior strength, pace & ability, which resulted in thirteen tries with seven converted. The reward for this win is another home tie, scheduled for 14th April, against Bury St. Edmunds who demolished Exeter in the previous round. There were tries for; Yarwood (5) well done Sam, Perks(2), Betts, Pinch, Solomon, Sullivan, Luton & Hands with Oliver converting seven.

This weekend’s North Mids Cup semi-final against local rivals Worcester promises to be a rather closer affair! - Dave Critchlow

Match photos click here

Hinckley 20 Moseley 29 - English Clubs Colts National Plate

Moseley travelled to Hinckley after a few days of heavy rainfall to play in the National Plate. If Moseley won they would progress to the Quarter Finals, where they would play Sheffield at home.

Moseley played with the wind in the first half and started strongly, when after James Oliver made a great break after 4 minutes, they would score their first try. Oliver broke the line from around 10 metres inside his own half, slicing through inside his man. After a good sidestep and more yards gained, he was tackled, and the forwards piled through. A couple of phases later the ball was shipped out to the right wing to Josh McPherson who sprinted down the line and dotted down in the corner. The try was unconverted.

Around fifteen minutes later, with both sides competing well, Moseley gave away a penalty in their 22 which was duly converted to make the score 3-5 to Moseley. Moseley responded quickly to this score and chased up well from the restart. After good forward pressure, Moseley gained a scrummage in the Hinckley 22. The back row executed a planned move well, and the ball was then shipped to the backs. James Oliver dummied to Matt Durber and found outside centre Dan Pinch, who cut between the centres on a determined run to the line. Oliver converted.

Moseley’s third try would come soon after this, when after a sustained period of forward pressure and after a number of phases, Charley Thomas picked up the ball and drove for the line. Thomas ploughed straight through a couple of defenders and scored under the posts. The forwards were beginning to dominate by the end of the half, and just before the half time whistle, James Weaver brilliantly snaffled a loose ball and fought his way out of a couple of tackles before being brought down. Charley Thomas again came up in support and made another powerful thrust, which resulted in his second and Moseley’s fourth try of the match. The half time score was 3-24 to Moseley.

Moseley started the second half poorly, as Hinckley scored an early try under the posts, after one of the backs sliced through the midfield. The try was converted to make the score 10-24. Hinckley now had their tails up and used the wind to their advantage. After a deep kick that Moseley failed to deal with, it was hacked on by a Hinckley player, and was touched down, the try was unconverted.

However after this Moseley began to drive the ball well and after a couple of infringements by Hinckley , Moseley kicked to touch gaining territory. In the Hinckley 22, Moseley took a tap penalty that was set up by Paul Norris, and the pack drove forward, only for the ball to be dropped over the line.

However, after Hinckley won the subsequent scrummage and cleared their lines, Moseley set up another forward drive, from which tight head Charley Thomas burrowed over and scored his hat-trick try.

This score was 15-29 with around 10 minutes to go, and it proved to be enough time for a resilient Hinckley to score again, after a powerful run from their number 8. The try was unconverted and the final whistle went soon afterwards, with Moseley winning the tie 20-29. They now progress to the Quarter Finals, which will be at Billesley this week.

Moseley Squad: Paul Norris, Will Caesar, Charley Thomas, Tom Bartlett, Dan Toth, Jon Duckers, Clark Hands, Will Betts, James Sullivan, James Weaver, Matt Tibbatts, Dan Lavander, Luke Ward, Dan Malins, James Oliver, Alex Warner, Matt Durber, Dan Pinch, Jack Richards, Antonio Solomon, Josh McPherson, Jon Perks.

The quarter final draw is:

Old Northamptonians v Middlesbrough

Moseley v Sheffield

Weston-Super-Mare v Haywards Heath

Bury St Edmunds v Exeter

Quarter final matches to be played by 11th February.

Moseley 7 Leicester Tigers 57 - 2nd February 2007

Those who attended this fixture on Friday night were privileged to see an excellent performance by this very strong premiership club academy side. No one likes to lose by such a margin but it wasn’t through lack of effort. The home side were simply beaten by the best opposition they are ever likely to face. The fact is that a great deal of time and money is invested in the Tigers Academy set-up and, as you would expect, the end product is class.

The first few minutes of the game were all Leicester as they powered their way into Moseley territory. The ball was continually recycled at pace and the home side were forced into hurried defence. It came as a surprise therefore, when the first score arrived at the other end. A Moseley scrum around halfway saw an excellent backrow move put flanker Ben Pons away on the narrow side. A fine run saw him caught near the line but the ball was moved to U17 winger Josh Macpherson who scored close to the posts to give his U17 colleague Alex Warner an easy conversion.

Stung no doubt by being caught out in such fashion, the opposition proceeded to impose their power, pace and skill on the game and scored three converted tries in the half. In such circumstances this was a difficult game but it was made worse by unforced errors such as missed kicks to touch which were severely punished, and some missed “first up” tackles, which again led to penetrating dynamic attacks. The game was due to get harder in the second period as the home side began to tire and so it proved scoring another six tries (three converted).

A heavy defeat yes, but there were still positives to find. It was an excellent standard of game for the lads to have been part of and will have shown them where they currently stand and the level to which they should aspire. Debutant lock Will Betts (U18) showed that he will be an excellent player for the section.

The squad was composed of 7 U19’s, 12 U18’s and 5 U17’s which is good news for next season. Finally, the commitment and discipline was very good, especially given the scoreline. This was borne out by the match officials who commended the players on their constructive attitude throughout the game. - Dave Critchlow

Moseley 34 Bromsgrove 0 - Saturday 27th January

Moseley faced Bromsgrove on Saturday at Billesley, looking to get into the semi final of the North Midlands Cup. Moseley started strongly and after a good backs move, Jon Perks gave a well timed pass to Sam Yarwood, who ran in at the right hand corner and around to the right of the posts. James Oliver converted the try to make in 7-0 to Moseley.

Much of the play was in the Bromsgrove half as Moseley used the slope to their advantage, and the next try came from sustained possession in the Bromsgrove 22. Matt Tibbatts broke a tackle and gave a deft offload to Charley Thomas who rode an initial hit as he took the ball and drove forward, he forced his way powerfully past a couple of other defenders before crashing over.

Soon after this score Sam Yarwood got his second. After some good phases of play by Moseley, Yarwood took the ball and ran straight through two defenders on his way to the line, showing good strength. Bromsgrove rallied and had a bit more possession, and stopped some Moseley attacks with some good cover tackles, but Moseley would get one more score before half time, when Luke Ward cleverly sniped up the blind side and scored in the corner.

However with a few minutes to go until half time, the referee issued a yellow card for either side, with Charley Thomas off for Moseley after a seemingly harmless altercation. Paul Norris received another yellow card a couple of minutes after this, which was also surprising. At half time the score was 22-0 to Moseley.

Early in the second half Bromsgrove kicked a lot of ball down into the Moseley half for possession, limiting Moseley opportunities but Moseley did claim a try by Matthew Tibbatts early in the second half, converted by Alex Warner.

Moseley’s best try of the match was the last try, with many Moseley hands involved, Matt Tibbatts and Jon Perks providing the last passes for Sam Yarwood to score, rounding off a brilliant move. However Moseley suffered an injury when Sam Yarwood pulled up with a hamstring injury soon after this, which disappointingly rules him out of Friday nights clash with Leicester.

The final score was Moseley 34-0 Bromsgrove.

Moseley Squad: Dan Toth, Will Caesar, Charley Thomas, Jon Duckers, Paul Norris, Clark Hands, Robin Bayliss, Alex Tunnicliff, Ben Pons, Matt Tibbatts, Colin Hardsley, Luke Ward, Dan Malins, Alex Warner, James Oliver, Ollie Luton, Chris Stigwood, Antonio Solomon, Sam Yarwood, Josh McPherson, Jon Perks, Jack Richards.

By Jack Richards.


Moseley 7 Worcester 10 - Saturday 20th January

Moseley faced Worcester in a friendly on Saturday, the second meeting of the two sides this season. The Moseley squad was a mixture of youth and experience, as there were five under 16s and 17s in the squad. Ollie Luton was playing his first game back in Moseley colours this season and Jack Richards was returning from injury.

Moseley started the game very strongly, where after a good few minutes of pressure in the Worcester half, Dan Pinch evaded a couple of tackles and broke clear to score. James Oliver converted the try. However Worcester came back into the game and exerted periods of pressure on Moseley, with a good tackle from Alex Tunnicliff halting one attack.

However Moseley could not convert their territory and possession in the first half into points, and there were a couple of occasions where Moseley could have scored. The half time score was 7-0 to Moseley, who in the second half would have to play up the slope, slightly into the wind that was strongly blowing across the pitch.
Worcester started the second half as Moseley had started the first, and scored an early try. One of the Worcester backs broke a Moseley tackle in midfield and accelerated through, beating another Moseley tackler and going in for the score. This try was unconverted. Worcester then put more pressure on Moseley with kicks downfield and probing runs, one of which led to a scoring pass being knocked on near the line.

Moseley had some periods of possession, but after a strong drive by a Worcester player of over twenty yards, it gave them good field position. One of the second row forwards broke downfield and was tackled at the corner where the try was awarded, amid some different Moseley opinions. The try was unconverted, and was just minutes before the end of the match, the final score being 7-10 to Worcester . - Jack Richards

Moseley Squad: Paul Norris, Jon Duckers, Charley Thomas, Tom Bartlett, Dan Toth, Leighton Peach, Clark Hands, Robin Bayliss, James Weaver, Alex Tunnicliff, Matt Tibbatts, Curtis Gilbert, Dan Malins, Colin Hardsley, James Oliver, Alex Warner, Ollie Luton, Dan Pinch, Antonio Solomon, Sam Yarwood, Buzz Katermouswa, Jon Perks, Jack Richards.

Floodlit Friday Fixture! – Friday Feb 2nd

Moseley U19 Colts v Leicester Tigers Academy U19

Change to original fixture list and a new date for your diaries. Friday 2nd February, 7.30pm kick off at Billesley. This match was originally scheduled for Saturday 3rd February.

English Clubs Colts National Plate

The Colts National Plate Round 5 match against Hinckley has been confirmed for Saturday 10th February. 2.15pm kick off at Hinckley .

Moseley 41 Walsall 11 - 13th January 2007

As the first team were lining up against Pertemps Bees, Moseley Colts got the opportunity to play on the first team pitch, against Walsall . Moseley started strongly and scored from a well worked driving maul, with Matt Tibbatts at number eight the scorer. Minutes later after a very clever break from Luke Ward near the right hand touchline, a try was scored by Sam Yarwood after Ward had made good yards.

However, after this early pressure up the slope and against the wind, Moseley began to give away needless penalties in their own half, two of which were converted by Walsall to leave the half time score 10-6 to Moseley. Moseley started the second half promisingly again, and Matt Durber picked up an early second half try, which James Oliver converted. Moseley began to open up the play a little and this resulted in another try soon after.

Jon Perks fielded the ball at full back and passed to Sam Yarwood who supported him well and from depth. He gave the ball on to Durber, who drew his man and passed to Dan Pinch. Pinch cut a good angle and gave a great pass out to Chris Stigwood who dived in at the left corner rounding off a superb move.

Soon afterwards at the restart, Sam Yarwood caught the ball and with the opposition pack in front of him, he gave two strong hand offs and broke through the gap, using his pace to get all the way down the right flank to score, Alex Warner converting. Yarwood scored his hat-trick try not long after this, after sustained Moseley pressure. Another driving maul by the Moseley forwards led to a James Weaver try, and Walsall replied with a try of their own by the openside flanker at the death, a reward for their large effort. Final score Moseley 41-11 Walsall. – Jack Richards

Moseley Squad: Paul Norris, Dan Toth, Will Caesar, Charley Thomas, Jon Duckers, Clark Hands, Robin Bayliss, James Sullivan, James Weaver, Alex Tunnicliff, Matt Tibbatts, Tom Bartlett, Luke Ward, Daniel Malins, James Oliver, Alex Warner, Matt Durber, Dan Pinch, Chris Stigwood, Sam Yarwood, Antonio Solomon, Buzz Katermouswa, Jon Perks

Ludlow Colts 0 Moseley Colts 13
Passing flooded fields on the way to the far-reaches of North Midlands territory, it was difficult to imagine a game of rugby being played on on a riverside pitch that had been churned up with a match the day before. For some it was difficult knowing how many laps of the castle were necessary before finding the ground !
Notwithstanding these difficulties, all the squad, coaches and supporters made it to the ground, the pitch was in very good condition given the heavy rainfall and previous match and the cup-tie was on.

What a game it was, with the conditions dictating the "style" of play both teams committed themselves to the fray. There were always going to be mistakes and in particular handling errors and therefore the team able to look after the ball best was likely to prevail, and so it proved. Moseley took an early lead after 6 minutes when the home side conceded a penalty just outside their 22, and Alex Warner was successful with the kick. It was difficult for either side to maintain pressure for any period but the visitors looked the more likely to score as the half went on.

After 22 minutes, a Moseley short lineout around the opposition 22 saw a good catch and drive for Matt Tibbatts to claim the touchdown and increase the lead to 0-8. Halftime afforded a well-earned rest for both sides. A change of strip would have been a great asset as it was becoming difficult to tell the sides apart.
The second half reproduced the effort of the first although with the wind now in their favour, Ludlow were now able to spend time in the Moseley 22. Moseleys game management in this period settled the game. They withstood all that was thrown at them until an opposition mistake allowed them to clear their lines.

John Perks at fullback did exactly what you would ask for in such conditions, and never gave the Ludlow kick-chasers a sniff. Best of all, in their one major visit to the Ludlow 22, they either retained the ball or never let the home side get the ball away too far. It was from a Ludlow lineout ball that Clark Hands stole the throw to set up an unstoppable drive to the line with Tibbatts again getting the try.
With the score remaining at 0-13 Moseley now go through to the next round of the North Midlands Cup. Great credit should go to both sides for their part in this hard fought, sporting encounter. Conditions do not get much worse.

Old Northamptonians Colts v Moseley Colts - 23rd December 2006

Moseley travelled by coach on Saturday to Northampton, where they knew they
would face tough opposition in Old Northamptonians, another side to still be
involved in the National Colts Plate. The home side started strongly, with
the slope behind them, and much of the early play was in Moseley territory
after the first couple of minutes. After a couple of phases around the
halfway mark, the Old Northamptonians full back broke through a Moseley
tackle in the centre, and drew and passed out to a supporting player who
evaded the cover and scored a converted try under the posts.

This score seemed to spark Moseley, who replied soon afterwards with a score
of their own. From the base of a scrum Matt Tibbatts passed to Luke Ward,
who in turn fed Sam Yarwood. Yarwood feigned to go outside but sliced inside
his man and burned away from the cover, rounding off a polished move. James
Oliver converted to make the score 7-7. Moseley then produced some more
scoring opportunities, with two in quick succession.

Minutes after the try, as Moseley were back in the Old Northamptonians 22, a
powerful thrust by Ryan Large opened the defence. He gave a deft offload to
the supporting Jon Duckers, who broke a tackle and grounded the ball as he
was brought down, but it was just short of the line before he lost control.
Following this, good work by Jon Perks put James Oliver in space and he
passed to Sam Yarwood who squeezed in at the right hand corner, but it was
called back for a forward pass. Not long before half time, Sam Yarwood
latched onto a dropped pass sharply and hacked it on twice into the in-goal
area, but knocked on as he went to ground the ball. Old Northamptonians
seemed to capitalise on their fortune by scoring from a well worked forwards
drive from just inside the 22 line. The half time score was 12-7 to Old

Moseley made a stronger start to the second half, an enveloping tackle from
the returning Charley Thomas setting the tone for the early stages. Later on
Moseley’s ball retention proved effective as they pinned Old Northamptonians
back in their 22. After solid work from the pack, the ball reached the backs
where Dan Pinch showed good strength and determination, bustling his way
past two defenders to score under the posts. The score was extra special for
Pinch as it was against his old club. The try was converted to give Moseley
the lead at 12-14.

After some deep kicks from Alex Warner and Luke Ward, Moseley were able to
put the pressure back on after this try, and gained a scrum in the Old
Northamptonians 22. Matt Tibbatts picked up, timed his pass well to Luke
Ward, and he again found Sam Yarwood who was too fast to stop, and he scored
his well deserved second try after hard work throughout. Moseley led 12-19
after this score.

However, Old Northamptonians never gave up and looked for the opportunities,
and after a mistake from Moseley in their own 22, the Old Northamptonians
scrum half stole the ball and scored from close range, with the conversion
levelling the scores at 19-19. The final whistle blew soon after, ending a
well contested rugby match, with both sides showing grit and flair, however
Moseley were left to rue some missed chances.

Moseley Squad: Dan Toth, Ryan Large, Jon Duckers, Will Caesar, Charley
Thomas, Robin Bayliss, Clark Hands, Mark Newton, James Sullivan, Alex
Tunnicliff, Matt Tibbatts, James Weaver, Dan Malins, Luke Ward, James
Oliver, Alex Warner, Sam Brent, Dan Pinch, Matt Durber, Sam Yarwood, Jon

Moseley Colts 39 Wolverhampton Colts 0
The Colts entered the National stages of the Plate on Saturday with this fairly straight forward victory, but without ever putting much shape on the game.
Two cancelled games in the last 3 weeks together with aborted training sessions due to ground conditions, did the squad no favours and the performance was rusty.

On the plus side 7 tries were scored and a clean sheet kept. The 1st score arrived after 10 minutes when a ball off the top at the back of the lineout, was put through the hands for winger Matt Durber to touch down in the opposite corner. James Oliver converted. A backrow play saw Sam Yarwood being released on the 10 metre line and scoring under the posts after a searing run. Oliver was again successful with the kick. Minutes later Yarwood was crossing for another try, this time following a free-kick play by the forwards, and blindside attack by no. 9 Luke Ward.

Yarwood completed his hat-trick of tries just before halftime when a W`ton relieving kick was charged down and the ball was swiftly moved to the winger, for him to go in at the corner. Three minutes into the 2nd period, a miskick from the visitors saw Durber embark on a scoring run from halfway. Not long afterwards, the same player, not to be outdone by Yarwood on the opposite wing, made the most of a turnover in the W`ton 22, to record his 3rd score of the afternoon.

The final score arrived from a penalty outside the W`ton 22. With the referee calling `last play`, Moseley elected to carry the ball through the forwards and an excellent drive was only just stopped on the line. The ball was recycled however, and Moseley fullback, John Perks, came into the line to claim the try.
Hopefully this game will move the squad up a couple of gears for their last game before Xmas, when they visit Old Northamptonians- a good side in recent years.

Dudley Kingswinford 0 Moseley 60 - November 25th 2006

On a cold and damp day in Dudley, Moseley looked to follow up their strong performance against Bath two weeks previously against Dudley Kingswinford.

Moseley welcomed back Will Caesar and Robin Bayliss from injury, and Kieran Murphy was making his debut. Moseley started strongly and scored after about five minutes. The ball reached Sam Yarwood about 10 metres inside the opposition half, and he sliced through the middle of two defenders. He then handed off a third defender and sprinted down the touchline, outpacing the cover, and scoring under the posts. James Oliver converted to make the score 0-7.

A few minutes later, Dudley were in possession and after a few phases attacked the blind side. With two men outside him, the scrum half gave a pass out that was intercepted by Chris Stigwood, who ran in to score from around halfway. Another opportunity came to Moseley as Matt Tibbatts broke away from well inside his own half, but as he went to pass inside to Will Caesar, it was cut off by good defence.

After this, Dudley, playing into the wind, kicked possession into Moseley territory, making it difficult for Moseley to counter attack. However, later on in the half, Jon Duckers produced perhaps the moment of the match, as he scooped up a loose ball and gave a superb pass inside to Sam Yarwood who attacked the ball with pace. He ran around under the posts for his second try of the match. James Oliver converted and the half time score was 0-19 to Moseley.

Moseley started the second half stronger than they did in the first, and soon began to assert some dominance. Ben Pons broke away upfield and evaded several tackles before offloading to Sam Brent, who had support on either side. He in turn got the ball away inside to Dan Pinch and he dotted down on the right hand side. A superb Moseley move minutes after this created the next try, from long range and including several pairs of hands, Ben Pons finishing off the move to score, Alex Warner converting.

Dudley began to fight their way back and after a couple of long kicks to touch, they had a series of lineouts near the Moseley line, but to no avail.

After Moseley had relieved the pressure, they began to build up the phases and after good work received a lineout in Dudley territory. A well crafted and precise backs move led to Jon Perks slicing through the line from full back and beating a covering tackler, before passing to Antonio Solomon to score a great try. Alex Warner again converted.

From the restart, an excellent Ben Pons dummy combined with a couple of sidesteps led to him breaking away down the field, and Clark Hands showed great pace in support to take the ball to around ten metres out before being tackled in to touch. Moseley kept the pressure on and after a loose clearance and good hands from Alex Tunnicliff, Antonio Solomon gathered and sprinted in from forty metres to score and Alex Warner converted.

Later in the half after good Moseley pressure, Will Caesar showed great support by following up behind the backline, and taking an inside ball from Sam Brent to score on his return from injury. Moseley heaped on the pressure and attacked back down the field from the restart, getting the ball into the Dudley 22.

After a couple of strong drives from Matt Tibbatts five metres out from the Dudley line, space was created for the backs, and after swift hands Dan Pinch broke through and scored his second of the game.

Ben Pons scored with the last play of the match after good interplay between forwards and backs and a forty metre solo run down the right touchline, outpacing the cover defence to score, the final score was 0-60 to Moseley, who play Stratford at Billesley in the National Plate this week.

Moseley Squad: Tom Garrity, Ryan Large, Jon Duckers, Paul Norris, Clark Hands, Will Caesar, Ben Pons, Matt Tibbatts, Robin Bayliss, Alex Tunnicliff, Kieran Murphy, Colin Hardsley, James Oliver, Sam Brent, Matt Larkin, Chris Stigwood, Sam Yarwood, Jon Perks, Dan Malins, Alex Warner, Dan Pinch, Antonio Solomon.

Tries: Pinch (2), Pons (2), Solomon (2), Yarwood (2), Caesar, Stigwood.
Conversions: Warner (3), Oliver (2)

Bath Academy U19 27 Moseley Colts 19 - October 11th 2006
Once again this season, the Colts have taken on an Academy side and provided proof of their skill levels and competitive edge. In a game that was affected by a strong, "down the pitch" wind, both sides showed that they were prepared to carry the ball close in, and move it through the hands as circumstances allowed. Thus supporters from both sides were treated to a very good game.

Losing the toss, Moseley were given first use of the wind and take full advantage they did. With only three minutes on the clock, scrum-half Luke Ward put up a kick that carried towards the Bath line. It did not run on however, but bounced up tantalisingly short of the line. The fullback hesitated, which allowed winger Sam Yarwood to steam in and touch down. This was just the kind of start that you would hope for against strong opposition.

With both sides settling into the game, no further scores were posted in the next fifteen minutes, but the Moseley kicking game was not up to scratch and instead of pinning the opposition back into defence, they were allowed to recover and begin to apply pressure of their own.

After twenty minutes and following a series of attacking scrums, the home side crashed over for their first try which was converted. More attacks followed and culminated in a penalty being awarded against Moseley for holding on at the tackle. The kick was successful and Bath led 10-5. In retrospect, this period of the game was the difference between the sides.

Stung by these two scores, Moseley stepped up their game and took the match to the opposition. A short lineout around Bath’s ten metre line was driven on until the ball was released to Alex Warner who made an excellent midfield break. Supported on both sides, he elected to cut back (to cries of NO from the touchline) to his forward support who almost crossed the line (to cries of YES from the same voices!). The ensuing pressure led to a Bath infringement and a penalty five metres out.

Ignoring the kick, a previous one had been missed, the forwards produced an excellent driving maul to give Matt Tibbatts the touchdown. Warner converted.
Not content with retaking the lead, Moseley quickly retook their position in the Bath twenty-two and within the next three minutes had taken two strikes against the head. This deserved a score and sure enough another infringement led to a reprise of the previous try with Clarke Hands being the scorer. Warner again converted. The half ended at 10-19 to the visitors and the feeling that the game was winnable.

Bath reduced the arrears seven minutes into the half with a series of concerted attacks on the Moseley line. It has to be said that the defence was excellent, repelling seemingly unstoppable attackers, until Bath decided that a better option from one of their penalties would be a kick to the corner. From this they performed a good catch and drive to cross the Moseley line. An excellent wide out kick reduced the lead further to 17-19.

Both sides produced good rugby for the next fifteen minutes with Bath having territorial advantage but Moseley continuing to produce counter attacks that threatened. During this period both Moseley wingers, who had already caused problems, might have produced scores had they had confidence in their own pace and support players instead of kicking the ball away.

Foiling the Moseley attacks, Bath once again attacked at pace and were rewarded twenty-two minutes into the half with an excellent try out wide. The final ten minutes of the game saw both sides striving for the next score. Moseley almost scored a try with prop Paul Norris appearing in the line and giving Matt Durber a run into the corner, but Bath’s defence was solid and he was stopped short.

With five minutes remaining, a Bath lineout released a big forward at the front of the line, he shook off a high tackle and offloaded to his support who crossed for the last score of the game.

Mention should be made of the forward effort throughout; the scrum was solid, the short lineout options well executed, and there was total commitment at the breakdown. The backs ran good lines and defended with shape. Support play was good and the overall defence was full of determination and organisation.
This was an excellent game from start to finish with all the squad playing and acquitting themselves well.

For the record, the Bath side was a mixture of experienced Academy players and some younger trialists whilst the Moseley starting line-up included seven U19`s, six U18`s, and two U17. – Dave Critchlow

Birmingham & Solihull Colts 3 Moseley Colts 41 - October 5th 2006
On what was originally a `rest` weekend, Moseley were pleased to make this fixture with their local rivals, to offset the loss of the previous weeks fixture. An 11.30 KO and some `unusual` pre-match arrangements did not encourage good match preparation, but nevertheless a rugby game took place, and that's what it's all about.
The 1st half doesn't warrant too much reporting, Moseley dominating but playing at a pedestrian pace with little physicality, or commitment to any hard graft. Two tries, from Ben Pons and John Duckers, were the only scores to be posted despite the visitors superiority.
Pointed and frank observations were offered by the coaching staff at the break. One-way discussion over, it's pleasing to report that, from the Moseley point of view, the 2nd half was a major improvement. Their game was played at pace with more commitment at the breakdown and support at hand.
Thus the 0-31 scoreline of the 2nd period was just reward for the uplift in performance. Tries came from Sam Yarwood (2), Pons, Sam Brent and Alex Warner with James Oliver (1) and Warner (2) getting the conversions. The Colts travel to Bath next week and this week's 2nd half display will need to be the absolute minimum acceptable then.

Moseley Colts 50 Leamington Colts 0 - October 7th 2006
In a repeat of the previous week's scoring, Moseley posted 8 tries in overcoming their opposition. This time however, proceedings were terminated 15 minutes early due to injuries depleting the visitors resources.

A strong wind was blowing down the slope on Saturday and Moseley elected to take on the elements in the first period. Imposing pressure from the start, the home side pushed into the visitors 22 and were only denied a score by virtue of a loose pass. With only 5 minutes gone however, the first score was posted with the ball being recycled from a well worked lineout play, for winger Josh Ellis-Mcpherson to cross in the opposite corner. The next score, arriving 7 minutes later courtesy of Ben Pons , followed a backrow move and 3 further phases in which hooker Jon Duckers was involved twice. Alex Warner converted.

Although the visitors had the benefit of the conditions they found it hard to mount any consistent pressure on their opponents. Moseley for their part were producing a good mixture of play both by close driving and moving the ball wide, although they found making big passes a difficult exercise in the wind. With 25 minutes gone, a break from the base of the scrum opened up play to bring full-back Chris Stigwood into the line. He offloaded well to give Ellis-Mcpherson his 2nd try and Warner his 2nd conversion.

Almost immediately, Moseley scored an excellent try from their own 22 when Matt Tibbatts fielded a kick and embarked on a strong run which carried play to the opposition 22. He was supported by both of his backrow colleagues, with James Weaver giving the scoring pass to Pons. Warner was again successful with the kick.
With the scoreline 26-0 at half-time, Moseley made 7 changes and prepared to take advantage of the wind and slope.

Good running and support play brought an early resumption of scoring with many players involved before Pons collected his 3rd try with a good midfield break and run to the line. James Oliver made no mistake with his first kick. Shortly after, the home side were gifted another score when a long downfield kick from their fullback was going into the in-goal area. The Leamington defender played it however, fumbled, and Antonio Solomon, who had chased well, took full advantage of the slip and touched down.

The next try was not so much a spectacle as one for the coaches to enthuse over. The ball was taken into contact by one of the backs, centre Sam Brent picked up and drove on, another back was quickly into position to bridge the ball allowing it to be quickly recycled. So encouraged with this were the forwards in the backline, that they repaid their colleagues by a display of excellent handling to give Adrian Courtney the score. Oliver added the conversion. The final score arrived when fullback John Perks opened up play from the back, various support runners took a hand and Solomon posted his second score of the day.

The only pity was that, with the game being brought to an early finish, the substitutes didn't get their full time on the pitch. Thanks go to Dan Toth and Jon Duckers for agreeing to play a half each for the opposition, who unfortunately lost a prop during the warm-up. Next week sees the 2nd round National Colts Cup match away against Barker Butts. A different type of match entirely from the last 2 weeks !

Stratford upon Avon Colts 8 Moseley Colts 55 -  September 30th 2006
On consecutive sunny Saturdays the Colts have travelled away to further their rugby education, and have faced totally different scenarios. Last week it was the "professional" face of rugby in the guise of Leicester Tigers Academy that faced the lads, and well they responded going down 18-3 in a lively encounter. This week, the visit to Stratford in a "pool" match, posed an entirely different set of questions.

With all due respect to our opponents, there are games when the side will expect to have domination and if this is the case they are asked to retain their shape and structure, playing as a team and not doing their own thing in certain situations. This has always proved to be easy to say but not so easy to achieve. Having more space always encourages players to firstly run too far with the ball, and secondly, offer support play off the ball rather than on it.
Additionally, everyone wants a piece of the action in the scoring stakes to the detriment of team play.
Saturday's match was a mixture of good and bad with 8 tries being scored, some from excellent play, whilst a number of others went begging because of players "going off script". This is not to deny them the chance to express themselves by insisting that they play by numbers, but by realising that certain situations require good habits.

Tries were scored at regular intervals throughout the game and it is to Stratford's credit that they scored the last points of both halves with a penalty on 35 minutes and a try in the final minute. Their young side competed well and showed the visitors that you lose focus against any side at any time and you are likely to be punished.
Try scorers; Yarwood(3), Warner(2), Weaver(2), Solomon.
Conv. Warner(3), Oliver(2).

Leicester Academy U19 - 18  Moseley Colts - 3  - September 23rd 2006

Facing arguably the toughest assignment of their season, Moseley Colts did themselves and their club proud by proving themselves to be worthy opposition to a strong Tigers Academy side. (See Tigers Preview;)

After a gap of about 6 seasons, the fixture has been remade with this first encounter being played at the excellent Academy training ground. An Aston Martin Advantage bearing the plate B4CKY gave an early insight into the standard of coaching staff employed.

When playing premiership opposition over these past 3/4 seasons, the Colts have endeavoured to remain as competitive as possible given the obvious difference in playing strengths of the teams. Generally this has been achieved, but this has been down to a never-give-in work ethic where defence has been the mainstay, and attack minimal due to lack of ball and ball retention.

On Saturday, the Moseley side were asked to continue their hard work of pre-season and 4 match unbeaten start, by not only being defensively competitive but offensively also. This would require a solid platform through good 1st phase possession, and building phases by ball retention.

To their great credit, the Colts did as they were asked and ensured that the Tigers were never able to relax and play comfortably. The Moseley pack, giving a fair bit away in size, were solid on their own ball, allowing the backrow to be an attacking force, and quite destructive on the opposition ball thus denying them the same benefit. The Colts lineout also functioned well on the limited occasions it was called into action. On the opposition throw it was always going to be difficult but the resultant drives were well-defended.

The backs for their part were able to run various of their plays and were always trying to be positive although too many balls were kicked away, when keeping it in hand would have proved a better option. The backs defence was very good generally and deserves a mention.

The first score was posted by Moseley when a backrow move led to some excellent linking play to just outside the Tigers 22. Under pressure a penalty was conceded and Alex Warner made no mistake with the kick. Shortly afterwards, with the home side attacking in the Moseley 22, the backs strayed offside, a quick tap was taken and Leicester scored in the corner. This was improved with an excellent kick.

The game was fairly well matched throughout and it was to Moseley's credit that the only remaining scores of the first period were 2 penalties from a good distance out, which the Tigers elected to kick for goal rather than go for the corner etc.
Halftime arrived with the score at 13-3 and the team playing confidently but with skipper Matt Durber having to retire with an injured wrist, and only 2 forward subs to use as fresh legs, the question was whether the team could retain their shape and ball-winning ability for the remainder of the match or struggle to stay with their well-conditioned opponents.

The fact is that they did stay the course. They kept their shape for the most part and remained in charge of their own ball. The defence stood the test and only 1 further score was posted when, early in the 2nd half, a penalty was conceded on halfway and the resultant kick pushed Moseley back to the 22. Good lineout ball moved quickly across the pitch was touched down in the opposite corner to make the score 18-3.

An important point to make to the Moseley players here is that all the opposition points came from penalties, directly or indirectly. Offend at this level and you get severely punished, especially if the kicker is as good as Leicester's was. Well done lads, a commendable performance but keep aiming higher, you want to win as well!

Moseley Colts 45 Birmingham & Solihull Colts 0 - September 9th 2006

A local rivalry was renewed last Saturday when near neighbours Bees were the welcome visitors. The clubs have not met at Senior Colts level for a few seasons but the opposition’s Junior Colts (U17`s) from last season have now enabled the fixture to be remade. For their part Moseley’s starting line-up included nine under 17/18`s.

Playing on the main pitch for the 2nd time in 2 weeks, the home side dominated from the outset and probably had 90% of the territorial advantage, but the half-time score of 5-0, a Sam Yarwood try, was frustrating.

The home side had match-winning pace on the outside but often failed to move the ball through the hands quick enough, thus allowing the defence to get across.
Up front, continuity was being spoilt by lack of attention to ball retention & presentation, and lack of aggression in preventing "fringing ".

To be fair to the visitors, they competed for everything, tackled well and on a number of occasions turned over opposition ball in their own 22 and cleared their lines.

As so often happens in this scenario in sport, if you are kept constantly under pressure the cracks appear and this was true in this game. The 2nd half saw Moseley start to take full advantage of their position and possession to run in a further 6 tries, including 2 more for Yarwood.

This is a good mixed aged squad with potential for the season but the individual skills which the younger players undoubtedly have, has to be moulded to suit the shape and structure that is required in the senior colts.

Next weeks encounter with Leicester Tigers will require early lessons to have been quickly learned. - Dave Critchlow

Tries: Yarwood 3, Durber, Large, Tibbatts and Perks.
Conversions: Warner 5.

Worcester Wanderers Colts 7 Moseley Colts 22 - September 9th 2006
Following on from the excellent game and victory in mid-week over Hartpury College, this was very much a case of "after the Lord Mayor's Show".
The exertions of the Wednesday fixture and the high temperature seemed to drain many of the players energy levels and the resultant game lacked shape and continuity.
Not too much to report on in this game then except that having gone down to a converted try in the 1st half, Moseley produced enough in the remainder of the game to score 3 tries, by Matt Tibbats, Sam Yarwood and Josh Ellis-Mcpherson, 2 conversions by Jamie Oliver and a penalty by Alex Warner. The scramble defence was also good enough to deny the home side any further points.
Hopefully the squad will return to the form shown in their first 2 games next week when Birmingham & Solihull will be visiting Billesley.

Cwmbran 10 Moseley Colts 19 - 28th August 2006

A productive training weekend attended by 26 player and four coaches in Wales last weekend was finished off in style with a hard fought victory against a strong Cwmbran Youth side on Monday afternoon.

Playing down the steep slope in the first of three twenty-five minute periods, Moseley’s backs quickly provided evidence of the counter attacking work put in over the previous forty-eight hours when a well worked try was scored in the corner.

The heavier Cwmbran pack then tried to make their power show in the scrum and in some uncompromising exchanges in the loose although the period ended with two tries to Moseley and only one to the opposition.

An exchange of tries in the next period and no further in the third provided an encouraging end result for some very tired players and coaches. Plenty to work on but a good productive weekend in preparation for a testing first encounter against Hartpury College under floodlights on Wednesday 6th September.

For 2OO5/6 REPORTS Click Here





























Hit Counter

since Oct 5th 2006