Moseley’s first captain, S.H. Deakin was born, in 1854, in Hobart, Tasmania, where his Birmingham-born father was working as a land surveyor. The family returned to England when Stephen was five-years old and settled in Herefordshire. Deakin moved to Birmingham in the early 1870s to work in the family jewellery firm, which became known as Deakin and Nephew. It was probably at the same time that he became associated with Havelock Cricket Club and later the Havelock Football Club, which was founded in 1873, and which was renamed Moseley Football Club in the following year. S.H. Deakin captained the football club for four seasons but little else is known about his rugby career other than that he was a goal-kicking forward. He seems to have stopped playing around 1877 when he was 23-years old probably to concentrate on his business career.
In 1881 Deakin went into partnership with his brother-in-law, J.H. Francis, to form the firm of Deakin and Francis. Francis was also a member of Moseley Football Club but does not appear to have been a first team player. Deakin and Francis is still in existence in the Jewellery Quarter and specialises in cufflinks. S.H. Deakin did not turn his back on the club completely because he served as president from 1894/95 to 1896/97 and the first season of his presidency was also the first year of the great J.F. Byrne’s captaincy of the club. S.H. Deakin’s eldest son, Francis Henry, played for Moseley in the period immediately prior to the Great War and like his father was a forward. He also served as Moseley captain from 1912/13 to 1913/14 and was club president from 1947/48 to 1950/51.
|Click for Website Enquiries|