1st XV Match Report V Wharfedale (Home) Sat 08/10/2005 


Moseley 39 Wharfedale 3

For the first time this season, Moseley had to deal with rain and a blustery wind that swept across Billesley Common. In the days when Moseley were at The Reddings, such weather was a fact of life when the United, Nomads and Vandals etc played there and this current Moseley squad did not let if affect them one iota.

After a break from league rugby on the previous Saturday, both the players and their supporters were warmed up straightaway. After three minutes, a break by Carl Colvin with the ball then going across the threequarter line and Neil Mason sent in fellow winger Nathan Bressington to score a try wide out, converted by Olly Thomas. After 25 minutes, with Bick, Thomas and Mason making ground, the ball was recycled by Thomas to Paul Cox who scored his fourth try in four games. The conversion kick was just wide. Cox nearly scored again but dropped the ball when about to score after Mark Evans and Colvin had been held up. Wharfedale attacked just before half-time but they missed a long-range penalty attempt and Moseley defended well. Half-time Moseley 12 Wharfedale 0

Moseley attacked immediately after the restart and Cox scored his second try after Gareth Taylor had kicked through and Thomas collected the ball to give him the scoring pass. Thomas converted and also converted a try by Colvin three minutes later when he cut through to score close to the posts, giving Moseley a bonus point.

It was after this, to Wharfedale’s credit, that they put the Moseley defence under extreme pressure for long spells. Moseley got a close decision defending their line but Wharfedale got slight reward when Mark Bedworth kicked a penalty after 52 minutes. Wharfedale continued to attack for most of the second-half but another penalty by Thomas and a try by Dean Bick, driven over three minutes from the end, and a conversion and a penalty by Thomas completed an extremely efficient performance.

Peter Woodroofe