1st XV Match Report V Waterloo (Home) Sat 21/01/2006 


Moseley 19 Waterloo 13

A superb battling win for Mose, reduced to 14 men after Buxton red-carded just before half time. Ollie's 70th minute drop goal settling the side for an often anxious last 20 minutes with just six points separating the sides. Waterloo well worth the losing bonus point. A noisy 995 crowd made it an unforgettable afternoon.

Tries: Bressington 31:00min,
Penalties: Thomas 18:00min, 25:00min, 46:00min,
Drop Goals: Thomas 70:00min,

Tries: Aikman 48:00min,
Penalties: Hunter 21:00min, 44:00min,

Referee: D Newitt
Attendance: 995

Moseley: Andy Binns, Nathan Bressington, Darren O'Leary, Chris Holder, James Aston, Oliver Thomas, Gareth Taylor, Ben Buxton, Dean Bick, Neil Bayliss, David Hallmen, Richard Stott, Mark Evans, Neil Mason, James Rodwell
Subs: Paul Coles, Adam Caves, Tom Skelding, Greg MacDonald

Waterloo: Neill Hunter, Neil Kerfoot, Freeman Payne, Jason Duffy, Paul Edwards, Anthony Handley, Craig Aikman, Martin O'Keefe, Chris Tyms, Shaun Ruwers, Paul White, David Blyth, Njkie Tchakoute, Dan Smith, Ben Lloyd
Subs: Robert O'Donnell, Dave Giles, Dan Palmer, John Broxson

18:00 min - Penalty Goal, Oliver Thomas, (Moseley)
21:00 min - Penalty Goal, Neill Hunter, (Waterloo)
25:00 min - Penalty Goal, Oliver Thomas, (Moseley)
31:00 min - Try, Nathan Bressington, (Moseley)
31:00 min - Conversion, Oliver Thomas, (Moseley)
44:00 min - Penalty Goal, Neill Hunter, (Waterloo)
46:00 min - Penalty Goal, Oliver Thomas, (Moseley)
48:00 min - Try, Craig Aikman, (Waterloo)
48:00 min - Conversion, Neill Hunter, (Waterloo)
70:00 min - Drop Goal, Oliver Thomas, (Moseley)

Ollie wins battle of Waterloo - Sunday Mercury

Promotion in Moseley's sights

Heroic Moseley out-battled table toppers Waterloo in a National Two showdown of seismic proportions.The Billesley Common side appeared to be coasting comfortably to victory as the first half neared its end only to have prop Ben Buxton sent off for kicking out, leaving their 13-3 lead looking decidedly slim.But, having been reduced to 14 men for the second time this season, they dug deep and withstood a fearsome onslaught from the division's biggest forward pack to move to within two points of the Merseysiders at the league summit.

Moseley have a game in hand - against strugglers Orrell - and will be confident of claiming one of the two promotion spots and making a return to level two after three years in the wilderness.


Again it was the boot of Ollie Thomas who did the damage on the scoreboard with 14 of his side's points, but the real credit must go to Moseley's front-five who went toe-to-toe with much bigger opponents. In fact their early supremacy was so marked, they were able to create an incisive counter-attack for wing Nathan Bressington to score one of the tries of the season.

This came in the 35th minute when Thomas had restored his team's three-point lead with his second penalty of the game. His first came just after the midway point of the first period when inspirational No 8 James Rodwell broke from the base of a scrum and drew Waterloo offside. Thomas stroked over a 15-yarder for 3-0.

The visitors responded immediately as Neil Hunter punished Moseley for going over the top and levelled the scores. The Birmingham outfit were back in front on the half-hour as Waterloo lock David Blyth was pinged for punching at a ruck and Thomas accepted the three points with calm assurance. By this stage Moseley were well and truly on top. Although Waterloo were probing on their 22 metre line Neil Bayliss turned over possession to set up a lightning break.

Rodwell straightened the attack beautifully and cantered across halfway and fed Mark Evans on his shoulder. The blindside found Andy Binns who offloaded to Bressington for an easy run in. Thomas's conversion hammered home the advantage and opened up a ten-point gap. The hosts were in total control until two minutes later, Buxton's misdemeanor was spotted and he was dismissed.

That handed the initiative back to Waterloo and although they did not have enough time to make their increased numbers count in what remained of the first half they asked some very serious questions about Moseley's promotion credentials after the turnaround. Hunter brought his side back into it four minutes after the restart as Neil Mason infringed at a ruck. The full back's place kick made it 13-6.

Thomas kept the home team's nose in front soon afterwards as he, landed his fourth successful kick - from four attempts - following Hunter's inappropriate entry into a ruck. The difference was restored to ten but Waterloo's mountainous forwards were beginning to get the upper hand. Former Pertemps Bees loosehead, Martin O'Keefe returned a loose kick back into home territory. Tighthead Sean Ruwers sustained the momentum and scrum-half Craig Aikman nipped over from close range. Hunter's conversion made it 16-13.

Forwards and backs were against the wall now as the Blundellsands men piled into their hosts. Rodwell produced a try-saving tackle on Aikman on the hour as Moseley were forced to hold on. A booming clearance by Thomas gave them some breathing space and created the platform for his drop goal with three minutes to go. That meant Waterloo needed a converted try to win, and they almost got it. Aikman was just held up from a five-metre scrum in front of the posts as a superhuman effort ensured Moseley held on.

Taylor salutes pack's effort - Birmingham Post