1st XV Match Report V Orrell RUFC (Away) Sat 04/02/2006 


February 04 2006



Orrell: Chris Glynn, Adam Robson, Chris Briers, Alan Cross, Warren Spragg, Simon Mason, Mike Galimore, Derek Salisbury, Paul Millea, Matthew Collie, Nathan Pike, Richard Bradshaw, Jake Lyon, Daniel Hall, Matt Henwood
Subs: Neil Dowdridge, Sam Woods, Mark Chivers, Sam Reay

MOSELEY: Andy Binns, Nathan Bressington, Darren O'Leary, Andy Reay, James Aston, Oliver Thomas, Gareth Taylor, Paul Coles, Dean Bick, Danny Howick, Tom Skelding, Richard Stott, Neil Mason, Tom McIntosh, James Rodwell
Subs: Neil Bayliss, Adam Caves, Mark Evans, Greg MacDonald

2:00 min - Penalty Goal, Simon Mason, (Orrell)
7:00 min - Try, Richard Stott, (Moseley)
7:00 min - Conversion, Oliver Thomas, (Moseley)
9:00 min - Penalty Goal, Oliver Thomas, (Moseley)
12:00 min - Try, Darren O'Leary, (Moseley)
12:00 min - Conversion, Oliver Thomas, (Moseley)
15:00 min - Try, James Aston, (Moseley)
15:00 min - Conversion, Oliver Thomas, (Moseley)
31:00 min - Try, Alan Cross, (Orrell)
31:00 min - Conversion, Simon Mason, (Orrell)
40:00 min - Try, Dean Bick, (Moseley)
40:00 min - Conversion, Oliver Thomas, (Moseley)
47:00 min - Try, Paul Millea, (Orrell)
47:00 min - Conversion, Simon Mason, (Orrell)
50:00 min - Penalty Goal, Oliver Thomas, (Moseley)
73:00 min - Penalty Goal, Oliver Thomas, (Moseley)
80:00 min - Try, Warren Spragg, (Orrell)

League Table

Team         P  W D L  F    A    BP PTS

1 Moseley  17 15 0 2 496 272 11 71

2 Esher      17 14 1 2 505 187 11 69

3 Waterloo 17 13 2 2 512 265 12 68

4 Barking   17 10 1 6 326 307  6 48

Win comes at a high price for Moseley - By Roger Clarke, Birmingham Mail

BY half-time Moseley had won the match, grabbed the bonus point and moved to the top of National Two - and with the job seemingly done, settled down to see out the game.

At 31-10 at the break, the match was over and it showed in Moseley's play after the restart as they allowed the hosts to regroup and even take the second half 12-6.

The 37-22 win moved Moseley two points clear of Esher, who won 40-7 at home to Blackheath to set up a titanic top-of-the-table clash at Billesley Common on Saturday.

The victory came at a price though, with a hefty toll of injuries. First to go down was lock Tom Skelding, who went over on his ankle in the warm-up and, according to director of rugby John Beale, is looking at three weeks on the sidelines.

Next out was James Aston. The winger has only just returned to full fitness after a groin operation in the summer and Beale said he will be having a scan this week on suspected knee ligament damage, which makes him very doubtful for the weekend.

Also doubtful is full-back Andy Binns, who has been nursing a medial ligament problem and went off after straining it again.

Replacement fly-half Greg Macdonald went on as full-back but winger Daren O'Leary has played in the position many times or Alistair Bressington, on loan at Stourbridge, could also be recalled for the Esher game.

Struggling Orrell had gone ahead through a second-minute penalty by fly-half Simon Mason, but they were soon behind when second row Richard Stott went over in the corner and fly-half Ollie Thomas added the extras on seven minutes, then kicked a penalty for good measure two minutes later.

O'Leary was straight over for a converted try in the 12th minute and three minutes later Andy Reay and O'Leary combined again to put Aston in. Thomas converted and a rout was on the cards.

But with a lull in scoring for 15 minutes Reay, on loan from Bristol, brightened things up when he could not hold a pass on his own line and Orrell centre Alan Cross had an easy score which Mason converted

Any hopes of a comeback were dashed just before the break though when top scorer, hooker Dean Bick, went over in a driving maul and Thomas did the rest.

The second half was much of an anticlimax. Hooker Paul Millea went over in the 47th minute for a converted try, Thomas kicked two penalties and winger Warren Spragg sent the home fans off to the bar happy with an unconverted last-minute try.

The final score came just after Moseley replacement prop Neil Bayliss and Orrell second row Richard Bradshaw had been sent to the sin-bin to compare handbags after a bout of fisticuffs.

Beale was happy to get the win and to be back on top for the first time since the defeat at Esher in October.

He said: "We played very well for the first 30 minutes and then not so well. We got on top, got the bonus point and then sat back.

"For me the best form of defence is attack. We sat back and let them come at us. We still won by 15 points but it could have been 50 so we did not play really well the second half.

"It does set up this weekend quite nicely. It is not something that is a league clincher by any means but if we were to win it would certainly put us in the box seat with Esher to play Waterloo."


Jekyll and Hyde show leaves Beale frustrated - By Andy Walker For the Birmingham Post

The scoreline may read well for Moseley with an extension to their undefeated 2006 and a much-needed bonus point in the bag.

But there were some worrying signs for the Billesley Common management during the second half as the visitors slipped into pipe and slippers mode.

And the Jekyll and Hyde performance clearly troubled John Beale.

"That was very poor," said the director of rugby.

"The first half was fine but in the second half we played with no ambition and made no attempt to try and play the ball through the phases. We made some terrible decisions and I am very disappointed."

Three years ago, this would have been a National One fixture but times have changed dramatically. Moseley have faced some troubled years but looked to have successfully rebuilt themselves while Orrell, who were once on the fringes of the Premier-ship, are staring at life in National Three.

"When we last came here we lost by nearly 20 points and Orrell's committee said we would go down and regroup," said Beale. "But now they could go down to National Three and it's a shame because of the facilities and history of the club."

Moseley simply tore their opponents to pieces in the first half. Oliver Thomas' kicking was as perfect as ever, converting all four tries and sinking a penalty.

The partnership of Daren O'Leary and Andy Reay was running rings around Orrell and Richard Stott and James Aston both benefited from the duo for tries.

And when Dean Bick was pushed over by a driving maul just before the break everything was rosy for Moseley.

The visitors' only slips were an early Simon Mason penalty and a mistake on the line from Reay which led to Alan Cross' try for Orrell.

But in the second half it was a different story as plucky Orrell pinned their visitors against the wall.

Hooker Paul Millea squirmed his way over after 47 minutes and Moseley's only response was a Thomas penalty two minutes later.

Even when Cross was sent to the sin-bin on 51 minutes Moseley failed to take advantage of having the extra body as Orrell continued to pile on the pressure.

Thomas managed to add a third penalty on 72 minutes as the fixture sunk into a scrappy affair.

Orrell's Richard Bradshaw was yellow carded alongside Moseley's Neil Bayliss after the pair fought in the dying moments.

The hosts did snatch a deserved third try in the last move of the game. Nathan Bressington failed to clear a loose ball and Chris Glyn hoofed the ball through for winger Warren Spragg to touch down for an unconverted score.

More Reports From The Post & Mail