1st XV Match Report V Henley Hawks (Away) Sat 18/03/2006 


Henley 10 Moseley 28

Henley were a side who were doubtless feeling a lot of pressure had been relieved by changes in relegation arrangements. Moseley again, took a while to get going, but once they established  what was working, with a little help from the half time team talk, a convincing second half gave another five point win. Two try Carl Colvin looked, lively, as did the whole back row, with Mark Evans seemingly involved in everything. The game was delayed by a nasty looking injury to Danny Howick, we wish him a speedy recovery.

Henley: Mitch Burton, Chaska Loubers, Luke Burns, Dave Tibbot, Adam Slade, Rory Teague, James Gaunt, Rowan Fuller, Chris Hall, James Hadfield, James Winterbottom, Matt Payne, John Tenconi, Mark Douglas, Dave Archer
Subs: Steven. Wood, Steve Drake, Paul Dunckley, Stephen Robinson

Moseley: Andy Binns, Nathan Bressington, Daren O'Leary, Andy Reay, Carl Colvin, Oliver Thomas, Gareth Taylor, Paul Coles, Adam Caves, Danny Howick, David Hallmen, Richard Stott, Mark Evans, Tom McIntosh, James Rodwell
Subs: Neil Bayliss, Charlie Daniell, Dean Bick, Chris Holder

2:00 min - Penalty Goal, Mitch Burton, (Henley)
15:00 min - Penalty Goal, Oliver Thomas, (Moseley)
30:00 min - Penalty Goal, Oliver Thomas, (Moseley)
40:00 min - Try, Neil Bayliss, (Moseley)
46:00 min - Try, Mark Evans, (Moseley)
46:00 min - Conversion, Oliver Thomas, (Moseley)
61:00 min - Try, Carl Colvin, (Moseley)
75:00 min - Try, Carl Colvin, (Moseley)
79:00 min - Try, Dave Archer, (Henley)
79:00 min - Conversion, Luke Burns, (Henley)

Esher 37 - 22 Stourbridge
Harrogate 19 - 19 Manchester
Henley 10 - 28 Moseley
Orrell 22 - 18 Halifax
Redruth 10 - 10 Launceston
Waterloo 27 - 6 Barking
Wharfedale 30 - 17 Blackheath

1 Moseley 21 19 0 2 625 340 15 91
2 Waterloo 21 17 2 2 638 323 14 86
3 Esher 21 16 1 4 616 293 14 80
4 Launceston 21 12 2 7 482 426 6 58
5 Barking 21 11 1 9 383 375 8 54
6 Wharfedale 21 8 4 9 443 475 11 51
7 Redruth 21 10 1 10 359 374 7 49
8 Manchester 21 9 2 10 370 469 6 46
9 Halifax 21 8 1 12 375 462 8 42
10 Henley 21 7 0 14 407 467 10 38
11 Blackheath 21 7 0 14 374 511 8 36
12 Stourbridge 21 7 1 13 354 512 6 36
13 Harrogate 21 3 1 17 396 537 16 30
14 Orrell 21 5 0 16 322 580 5 25

Moseley grab a vital bonus

By Roger Clarke, Birmingham Mail

MOSELEY moved a game closer to National One with a hard-fought 28-10 victory at Henley, grabbing a valuable bonus point with four minutes to go.

Second placed Waterloo saw off Barking 27-6 but crucially failed to garb a fourth try bonus point which dropped them to five points behind the leaders giving Moseley, who have won two games more, the luxury of being able to afford to lose a match and still stay top.

The home side started well and took the lead through a Mitchell Burton penalty. They could well have had a try on seven minutes but for a superb tackle by full-back Andy Binns.

Moseley saw off the opening home surge and levelled the scores with an Ollie Thomas penalty on 15 minutes and took the lead on half-an-hour with a second penalty.

After a long delay for a back injury to Moseley prop Dan Howick, his replacement Neil Bayliss was driven over for the only try of the half in the sixth minute of injury time.

Seven minutes after the break a kick by scrum-half James Gaunt was charged down by Moseley flanker Mark Evans and he followed up to run in from 10 metres.

Thomas added the extras for 18-3 and on 62 minutes the back-row pairing of Mark Evans and James Rodwell set up winger Carl Colvin for try number three in the corner.

Henley's cause was not helped when replacement prop Steven Robinson was sin-binned for a trip on 75 minutes and a minute later the extra man was turned into points when Colvin went over for his second.

With two minutes to go Henley grabbed a consolation try with Burton adding the extras.

Director of Rugby John Beale said: "For the middle third of the game we played very well. We had good performances by Colvin and the whole back-row, particularly Rodwell and Evans.

"We did tend to idle in front again though, letting them back in. We did not start very well but that was not down to us it was down to them, they came at us strongly and threw the kitchen sink at us.

"That went on for 20 minutes but they only managed to score three points so our defence was sound.

"It was a pleasing performance and we maintain the differential and in fact increase it."


Henley Hawk s website

League leaders Moseley came away with five points from this game thanks to their well organised game plan which enabled them to make the most of their chances. The Hawks topped and tailed the scoring, however, taking an early lead, after just two minutes, from a Mitch Burton penalty and scoring two minutes from full time through a Dave Archer try which was converted by Burton    Read the full Henley match report

More reports from the Birmingham Mail and Post