1st XV Match Report V Sedgley Tigers (Home) Sat 21/10/2006 

Moseley 32 Sedgley Tigers 25 - October 21st 2006

Moseley: Binns; Winter, O’Leary (Holder, 66), Cox, Colvin (Aston, 53); Thomas, Knight; Coles, Caves (Hall, 63), Buxton (Black, 66), Arnold, Stott (Skelding, 63), Mason, McIntosh, Rodwell. Replacements: Evans, Hunter.

Sedgley Tigers: Wilkinson; Hall, Briers, Craig, Voortman; P Jones, Albinson (Leck, 66); Evans (Garrold, 54), M Jones (Roddam, 54), Halsall (Du Plessis, 66), Swart (Norris, 11), Lloyd, Newton (Jope, 66), Ponton, Skurr. Replacements: Gazzolo, Roko. Referee: T Beddow (RFU)

D O'Leary, J Rodwell, C Colvin, P Cox
O Thomas
O Thomas
O Thomas 3

Sedgley Tigers
A Craig, P Jones, C Hall
P Jones 2
P Jones 2

Match report below from the Sunday Mercury


COX CLINCHER - Last-gasp try sees off struggling Park

THEY may have left it late but Moseley’s last-gasp victory over visitors Sedgley Park was well worth the wait. Centre Paul Cox snaked his way through for his side’s match-winning try a minute from time before fly-half Ollie Thomas made sure with the conversion and an injury-time drop goal. Bottom team Sedgley began the match with a gale force wind at their backs and used it to their advantage as they opened up a 22-0 lead. The first points were on the board after only eight minutes and Phil Jones darted through a number of Moseley tackles before feeding Andrew Craig to score. Jones slotted over the conversion. It was very much one-way traffic with Jones adding a 60-metre penalty before scoring a try in the corner on 28 minutes as Sedgley opened up the 15-0 lead.

Extra The home side had seen Cox sin-binned midway through the half and the visitors made their extra man count again on the half-hour when more good work from Craig at centre led to fullback Chris Wilkinson running in to score his side’s third try. But moments later Sedgley Park had their hooker Mark Jones yellow-carded to even things up numerically and this seemed to give Moseley the lift they needed. On 38 minutes, Thomas darted towards the try-line only to lose the ball in the tackle. But two minutes later his good work saw him steal possession from the visitors and feed to skipper Daren O’Leary on the right wing who ran in from 40 metres to hand Moseley a lifeline on the stroke of half time.

In the second period the Billesley Common side dominated possession with Jim Logwell going over for a converted score two minutes after the restart.

The visitors were reduced to 14 men for a second time when Craig was sent to the sin-bin and, from the resulting penalty, Thomas slotted over to reduce the arrears to 22-15.

It was all the home side now, Park’s first-half domination being long forgotten.

Carl Colvin powered over for a third Moseley try which Thomas converted to level the scores.

Matters went from bad to worse for the visitors when second-row Ed Morris was sent off on the hour and although Jones kicked a penalty to restore their advantage it was only a matter of time before Moseley hauled them in.

Solid defending kept the home side at bay until the 79th minute when the ball was swung out to Cox who jinxed his way through for a bonus-bagging fourth try which Thomas duly converted.

With the game deep in injury time, Moseley finally made sure of victory when Thomas slotted over his drop-goal from 30 metres.

SCORERS: Moseley: Tries: O’Leary, Ludwell, Colvin, Cox. Conversions: Thomas (2) Penalty: Thomas. Drop-goa:l Thomas.

Sedgley: Tries: Craig, Jones, Wilkinson. Conversions: Jones (2). Penalties: Jones (2).

From HARRY NOBLE at Billesley Common









Hit Counter