1st XV Match Report V Plymouth Albion (A) Sat 12/11/2016 

Attendance:        1,162        Referee:    Karl Dickson                              


Matt Shepherd


Mike Penn

Matt Crosscombe


Drew Cheshire

Seta Raumakita


Alex Grove

Dean Squire


Tim Molenaar

Robin Wedlake


Mark Harrison

Keiran Hallett


James Williams

Cam Setter


Dave Brazier

Sam Nixon


Tom Fidler

Rupert Freestone


Adam Caves

Dan Pullinger


James Elliott

Nile Dacres


Greg Charlton

Ed Holmes


George Oram

Rupert Cooper


Harry Hone

Herbie Stupple


Jacques Le Roux

George Mills


Jack Preece




Dan Collier


James Burgoyne

Tom Cowan-Dickie


Jake Farnworth

Jamie Salter


Sam Pailor

Sam Matavesi


Elliot Bale

Daniel Powell


Sam Brown




Tries: Hallett, Salter, Wedlake, Dacres

Conversions: Hallett (2)

Penalties: Hallett



Tries: Cheshire, Molenaar


Conversions: Williams (2)


Penalties: Williams




Match Report

We live and die by the sword, bemoans Maggs

By Paul Smith – Birmingham Mail

Birmingham Moseley were left ruing missed opportunities as two late tries saw Plymouth Albion come from behind to grab victory.

Kevin Maggs’ side had looked in control at 17-10 ahead early in the second half, thanks to Timothy Molenaar and Drew Cheshire tries.

However, missed chances, mixed with a decision to try to push for a third try, and a missed James Williams penalty left Albion able to come back and take victory.

“You live by the sword and die by it unfortunately,” said Moseley head coach Maggs. “The kickers had a difficult job, you are either the hero or the villain and it’s really wet under foot so it’s one of those things.

“I back the players and they make the decisions but probably at 17-10 we had an opportunity to kick the three points but we went for the corner and lost the line-out.

 “We’re disappointed but we will look at what we’re doing for next week as we’ve got a difficult trip to Macclesfield.”

Plymouth, who had won their opening five home fixtures, were on the front foot from the outset and took the lead on eight minutes when Nile Dacres touched down amid a ruck of bodies.

Moseley stemmed the tide and started to dominate before the break looking to draw level and Mark Harrison ran clear on the wing but was unable to ground the ball under defensive pressure.

From the resulting scrum Molenaar nipped around the outside of a ruck to run over a converted try to put his side 10-7 ahead at the break.

Despite Plymouth kicking level, Cheshire put the visitors 17-10 ahead on 46 minutes after being released on the wing by a fast passing move.

Moseley failed to make their pressure count and on 59 minutes the game turned on its head once again with Robin Wedlake-Millecam benefitting from some swift passing to run over and level the scores.

Williams had a chance to regain the lead but his long-range penalty kick was short, minutes later a penalty under the posts did allow the Moseley kicker to regain the lead for his side.

With Albion searching for a winner they eventually made their pressure pay in the 80th minute when kicker Keiran Hallett turned try scorer, sneaking around the side of a rolling maul.

A stunned Moseley were caught on the break and after conceding a line-out in their own five metres, Jamie Salter drove over on the full-time whistle to make it 27-20.