1st XV Match Report V London Welsh (Away) Sat 30/12/2006 

Match Report

London Welsh 6 Moseley 13  - December 30th 2006


LONDON WELSH: Thrower; Sampson, Taylor, Storey, Greenwood; Marks, Fury (Shaw 61); Williams, Campbell (Ritchie 70), Durant (Masters 65), Quigley (Collier 80), Clarke (Collier 20, Clarke 28), McNamee, Anayi, Cox (Beard 70).

MOSELEY: O’Leary; Bressington, Binns (Holder 77), Buckley, Aston; Thomas, Knight; Buxton, Hall (Bick 36), Bayliss (Coles 60), Arnold, Skelding, Evans (Lightowler 63), Bignall, Rodwell.
Referee: Bruce Robertson (RFU).

SCORERS: London Welsh: Pens: Marks (2).

Moseley: Tries: Bick. Con: Thomas. Pens: Thomas (2).

Moseley at their ugly best (Sunday Mercury)


MOSELEY showed they could get down and dirty to drag themselves out of the drop zone and dump woeful Welsh into the bottom two.
In swamp-like conditions in Old Deer Park a second-half try for replacement hooker Dean Bick proved to be the deciding score between two of National One’s struggling sides.

This was Moseley’s first away win of the season and it will also go down as their ugliest victory of the campaign as both teams produced an error-ridden performance in dreadful conditions.

The visitors were playing into the wind in the first half and it was an evenly-matched contest for the first quarter of an hour.

That was until Ollie Thomas, moved from full-back to his more familiar fly-half position, swept home a simple penalty.

As the rain began to fall Welsh’s fly-half Tom Marks ensured his side were back level with a penalty on 23 minutes.

Marks eased the Exiles into the lead three minutes later with a second set-piece but it was from that point onwards that the game became really messy.

Both sides stole line-outs, knocked on, missed passes and scuffed kicks during a frustrating finale to the first half.

Proceedings worsened for Moseley on 35 minutes when hooker Chris Hall fell to the ground screaming in agony with what looked to be a broken leg.

Hall was stretchered off and replaced by Bick.

If the watching crowd was hopeful of things improving in the second half they were sadly mistaken. An inevitable bout of fisticuffs erupted early in the second half and although Tom Skelding was given a ticking off no cards were shown.

Moseley’s defence kept out the Welsh maul in the left-hand corner before they showed their hosts how it is done at the opposing end in the 55th minute.

Bick was the benefactor of the maul in the right-hand corner and Thomas tucked away the conversion, much to the relief of the travelling faithful.

Welsh desperately threw themselves forward but consistently let themselves down with sloppy errors when going forward in Moseley’s half.

Marks had looked set to slash the deficit to a point with six minutes remaining but his penalty was swept wide by the wind.

Thomas hammered the final nail into the coffin four minutes into injury time with a simple penalty.

The result enables Moseley to leapfrog the Exiles as well as bounce back from their Christmas Eve drubbing at Nottingham.

It was only a fourth win in 18 matches this season for Moseley and ends 2006 on a high note for them.

SCORERS: London Welsh: Pens: Marks (2).

Moseley: Tries: Bick. Con: Thomas. Pens: Thomas (2).


Hit Counter