1st XV Match Report V Waterloo Drummers (Away) Sat 28/04/2007 

Match Report

WATERLOO 20 MOSELEY 33   - April 28th 2007

WATERLOO: Murchie, Loader (Nutt, 70), Payne, Sliczney, Van De Venter; Davies (Monro, 56), Broxson (Erskine, 56); O’Keefe, Ince (Jones, 78), Hopgood (Hall, 57), Brandling-Harris, O’Donnell, Planchant, Palmer, McKay.

Replacements: Blythe, Smith.

MOSELEY: Thomas, Bressington, Binns, Reay, Winter; Hayes, Hunter; Buxton, Caves, Bayliss, Arnold, Stott (Knight), Mason, Bignell, Rodwell, (Skelding, 80).

Replacements: Coles, Bick, O’Leary, Evans, Macdonald.

Waterloo 20 - 33 (10 - 26)

Tries: Payne, Hopgood  

Pens:Davies 2    

Cons:Davies 2  

Moseley Tries: Bressington 2, Rodwell

Pens: Thomas 4  

Cons: Thomas 3

WATERLOO 20 MOSELEY 33 Moseley safe as duo scrap to clinch win
From SAM LEE for Sunday Mercury

OLLIE Thomas and Nathan Bressington were the heroes as Moseley scrapped and battled their way to National One survival at Blundellsands yesterday.

Fly-half Thomas landed four penalties and two conversions while Bressington went over for two tries – the first of a brilliant individual effort – as Moseley racked up the victory to ensure they avoided joining Waterloo in National Two next season.

Otley, who lost 12-10 at home to London Welsh, are the second club relegated but for a while it looked so different.

Exchanges Waterloo, enjoying the sunshine and their last match in National One, had Moseley on the rack for the opening exchanges.

A penalty to Waterloo in the third minute resulted in a catch and drive in the corner and the ball was then spun wide to reach centre and skipper Freeman Payne who cut through the defence to go over in the clear.

Fly-half Alex Davis converted and suddenly Moseley were staring at relegation.

Thomas had a chance to cut the arrears in the seventh minute with a penalty for crossing on halfway but pulled it wide. A minute later he cut the deficit to 7-3 with a penalty.

In the 12th minute the touch judge spotted an infringement in the ruck and Thomas made it 7-6.

Moseley were starting to exert some control and in the 23rd minute a high tackle gave Thomas a penalty just inside the Waterloo half. He kicked the visitors into the lead.

Five minutes later Bressington picked up a pass on the wing inside his own 22, kicked on past his opposite number Jan Van De Venter, collected the bouncing ball and side-stepped fullback Peter Murchie to go in under the posts, leaving Thomas with an easy conversion to make it 16-7.

Ten minutes later a sweeping move resulted in the ball being moved from left to right where Bressington cut inside, side stepped the defence and went over by the posts. Thomas converted to make it 23-7. Davis and Thomas exchange penalties 26-10 at half time.

The second half opened much like the first with Moseley hesitant and Waterloo determined to put on a show. Davis landed a low, hard penalty which just scraped over with 44 minutes gone and in the 50th minute a poor Moseley clearance gave Waterloo a catch and drive 15 metres out. Prop Martin O’Keefe duly obliged by being forced over. When Davis landed the con- version for 26-20 Moseley nerves were jangling.

A minute later Thomas missed a simple penalty by his standards.

Five minutes later, though, the referee awarded Moseley a penalty for Waterloo coming in round the side which was duly dropped in the corner and a catch and drive saw prop Neil Bayliss forced over, Thomas converting.

Waterloo had a sweeping move across the backs but the final pass vanished into the second row of the stands.

It was the only real scare for Moseley in an error-strewn final quarter but the cheers of the travelling Moseley fans could probably have been heard at Billesley Common when the final whistle went.

Hit Counter