1st XV Match Report V Newbury Blues (Away) Sat 26/01/2008 

Match Report

Newbury 22 Moseley 24 - January 26th 2008

NEWBURY BLUES: Walsh; Nutt, Tombleson (Perkins 62), Reay, Hylton; Ashwin (Rees 70), Smaje (Simpson-Daniel 40); Irish, Hincken, Thompson (Carter 58), Hayter, Chance, Abbott, Pennycook (Ashcroft-Leigh 58), Morgan.

MOSELEY: Binns; Bressington, James, Trueman, Norton; Stenhouse, Taylor; Dickinson, McMillan, Sigley, Arnold, Stott, Mason, Atkinson, Rodwell.

SCORERS: SCORERS: Newbury tries: Nutt (2), Chance; conversions: Ashwin (2); penalty: Ashwin.

Moseley tries: Norton, Dickenson, Arnold; conversions: Stenhouse (3); penalty: Stenhouse.

Sunday Mercury

MOSELEY came away from Newbury with four points and a win which with five minutes to go in this game at Monks Lane seemed to have eluded them.

It was a try with two minutes to go by lock Paul Arnold following an inside pass by Gareth Taylor at scrum half which sealed the victory, Moseley's first in 2008.

The Red and Blacks got off to the worst possible start when, playing into a strong wind, they conceded an early penalty kicked by Newbury's Chris Ashwin.

This was followed within a few minutes by a try which came when a Moseley restart blew back over the forwards' heads. It was caught on the full by former Moseley player John Chance who took the opportunity well.

Despite having to battle into the elements Moseley were building up some good phases so it was no surprise when the deficit was cut to 8-7 when they scored possibly the try of the game. A penalty inside their own half was quickly tapped and the ball moved along the line to winger Dan Norton who ran in from 30 metres.

With the game being played mostly in the Moseley half the Hillsley Common side were doing well to dominate possession, but when fly half Neil Stenhouse chose to throw a long mispass Blues wing Martin Nutt intercepted to run in under the posts.

With Ashton adding the extras, this put the home side eight points ahead.

Combination As halftime approached though, a good combination between flanker Neil Mason and Taylor led to an astonishing 40 metre run in up the wing by Scottish international prop Alistair Dickenson.

With an excellent conversion by Stenhouse from the touchline, the gap was one point at the break.

The first minute of the second half were littered with mistakes by both sides, and only in the last quarter of the game was real fluency achieved.

Moseley were mixing their game between forward drives and rucks and were gradually gaining the upper hand when once again calamity struck.

Blues backs were clearly offside when Nutt once again was on hand to take the interception.

Ashton again converted putting Blues eight points to the good, but strangely at the restart a penalty was awarded to the Birmingham side which Stenhouse kicked and it was game on in the last ten minutes.

Then came the late dramatic winning score and Moseley held on to secure their first ever victory at this venue.

Mason, the delighted captain, spoke afterwards of how pleased he was with the way his side had battled: "We played today for the full 80 minutes and were deservedly the better side. We used no replacements today and despite this we still had petrol in the tank at the end."

Birmingham Post Report


Hit Counter