1st XV Match Report V London Welsh (Home) Sat 30/08/2008 

Match Report

Moseley 9 London Welsh 15 - August 30th 2008


MOSELEY: Binns; Sharples, Adams (Cox 40), Reay, Bressington; Vasey, Taylor; Williams (Sigley 66), Caves, Sigley (Davis 51), Arnold (Muldowney 69), Stott, Atkinson (Evans 66), Bignell, Rodwell. Replacements: Oselton, Pasqualin, Lavery.

London Welsh: Lewis-Pratt; Sampson, Rock, Mackey, Jenkins (Hopkins 20); Thomas, Walker (Runciman 48); Doran-Jones (Williams 69), George (Vuli 52), Liffchak, Lewaravu (Corker 76), Powell, Mills (Saul 69), Ball, Brown. Replacements: Marks

SCORERS: Moseley: Pens: Vasey (3) Welsh: Tries: Vuli, Sampson. Con: Thomas. Pen: Lewis-Pratt.

Referee: Mr Llyr Apgeraint-Roberts (RFU)

Frustrated Mose pay for errors Sunday Mercury

A pair of dropped clangers cost Moseley the chance to open their National One campaign with a win at Billesley Common yesterday, to the benefit of London Welsh.

With ten minutes of the second half gone and having just moved into a 6-3 lead Ian Smith's men shot themselves in the foot when a dangerous chip from openside Richie Bignell was intercepted by Aaron Liffchak who rumbled on and put Sunia Koto Vuli over the line for the first try of the game.

Then, with just three minutes to go and having reclaimed a 9-8 advantage thanks to Richard Vasey's third penalty, wing Nathan Bressington strayed from his wing and prop Terry Sigley was too slow to a kick to the corner and Paul Sampson raced up to pick Sigley's pocket and scoot home for the winner.

Fly half Vasey, making his first appearance since his summer move from Leeds Carnegie, scored all of Moseley's points and his perfect kicking record was in stark contrast to that of Welsh's Ed Lewis-Pratt who missed four of his ?ve attempts.

Had the full back not lived up to his name, and with two of his misses straight in front of the posts, Moseley would have been left even without the consolation of a loss bonus.

For most of the match they looked like taking much more. The only score of a tight ?rst half was came from Vasey's boot after eight minutes.

Welsh had trouble with Mose's physical front row all afternoon and it was a sign of things to come when their hooker Dan George popped out of the scrum to gift Vasey an easy penalty.

Mose should have grabbed the opening try too when Sigley chased a Gareth Taylor up and under and smashed Lewis-Pratt as he caught the ball.

That created an outstanding turnover opportunity but Bignell opted to take into contact instead of spreading wide to the waiting Jack Adams.

The teams traded penalties soon after the restart until Bignell popped up at first receiver only to try a desperate kick that put his side instantly under pressure.

The conversion following Vuli's try was missed and Mose were still in with a chance of victory as two more kicks at goal went awry.

An enterprising break from replacement Paul Cox gave Moseley the platform to move ahead.

Prop George Davis won a penalty when he took play across halfway which Vasey turned into three-points from long range.

However, his poor positional kick was returned with interest behind his team and as Sigley ambled across to cover a gap out wide Sampson seared past. Aled Thomas's extras made the result safe.


Birmingham Post report

Hit Counter