Senior Academy Match Report V Bath (Away) Sat 04/03/2006 

Bath U19s 43  Moseley Colts 10  


Moseley travelled to Bath on Saturday knowing that they were facing the toughest assignment of the season but determined to commit themselves fully.

No one could doubt their resolve and a good competitive game was played out -but the Bath Academy side were well worth their win.

Unfortunately the visitors were slow to start and found themselves on the receiving end of 3 tries, 2 being converted, within the first 12 minutes. The main reasons for the scores being the failure to recognise the small number of opposition players being committed to the breakdown and thus being outnumbered when the ball was recycled, and some missed first up tackles.

Being 19 points down so early might have finished some sides but to their credit the players set about their task and started to make an impression on the game.

The forwards began to win more ball and by keeping it tight with some good driving play, managed to make the opposition bring more players back to the breakdowns. The result of this was some pressure in the Bath half which led to the home side giving away penalties. From one such infringement after 20 minutes, the Moseley pack carried the ball forward to good effect and crossed the try-line for John Duckers to record their first points.

A further 8 minutes later Bath were in for another try to make it 24-5 and with no more scores that was how the half ended.

Once again Moseley were slow to start and were punished by more clinical finishing by their opponents to see the score rise to 29-5. Again there was no faulting the endeavour in this Moseley side and they hauled themselves back into the game and competed manfully for another 20 minutes when a breakaway try put them further behind at 36-5.

Another Bath try followed together with the conversion and the visitors might then have accepted that the game was over. Not so, because they went back on the attack, secured enough possession in the right area of the pitch and were rewarded with the last score of the game from Ollie Edwards.

In conclusion then, a game in which the opposition were at a different level but that is what one would expect from a premiership academy side. What Moseley can continue to do however is to show that they are still able to provide competitive games to quality opposition and this by trying to play good rugby.

Finally, fullback Mark Coulson sustained a serious injury to his arm which resulted in him having to stay in Bath to have surgery to pin & plate the broken bones. We wish him a speedy recovery. We would also wish to thank the Bath Academy Staff who were not only generally hospitable during our visit but excellent in their concern for Mark and their follow-up phone calls. Thanks a lot, we appreciate it and look forward to seeing you next season.

P.S. The Bath match report noted that "The score slightly flattered Bath as for long periods Mosley had the home side on the back foot, however the superior speed of the Bath backs eventually told." and that "With ten minutes left on the clock, Mosley scored a very good team try with almost all their players handling the ball."