Senior Academy Match Report V Dudley KW (Away) Sat 19/11/2005 

Dudley Kingswinford Colts 0 Moseley Colts 29 - November 19th 2005

On a day when early frost and fog gave way to sunny autumn weather, Moseley Colts did justice to the day by turning in a powerful display. They overwhelmed their local rivals who were themselves boasting an unbeaten 8 match season to date including a fine National Cup win over Worcester Wanderers.

The match started at a fast pace with both sides looking to play good rugby. This was affected somewhat by a number of refereeing decisions which were possibly due to the official making his mark on the game, but which stopped any early flow developing.

Moseley were winning the larger share of possession but the DK defence particularly in midfield was strong. It took until the 27th minute for the first score to be registered and it came following increasing pressure on the home side.

Moseley scrummaging produced a ball against the head and Nigel Burrows, the no.8, picked up at the base and drove into the home defence. Good support play from his backrow colleagues led to Lee Madelin touching down. Mark Coulson, the Colts latest recruit at no.10, converted to bring the score to 0-7.

Immediately from the restart, Ryan Large caught and opened up play with a good offload to Madelin who went 30 metres before being stopped. The ball was quickly recycled in a move in which Matt Durber featured twice, the second time being when he touched down. Coulson again converted, this time from wide out. Two conversions !! Something of a luxury this season for the Colts who have struggled in the kicking stakes.

Half-time,14-0 up and the feeling was that more scores were on the cards as long as penalties weren't needlessly conceded and shape and pace were maintained.

Within two minutes the pattern was set as early pressure on the home side saw a turnover and the
Moseley 10 made a good break to put Durber away for his second try of the game. Most of the second half was defined by the amount of decent possession that Moseley enjoyed, the variety of the attacks through the backrow leading to the ball being moved wide and on the other hand the scrappy nature of the DK ball but also their defiant defence which held the score down.

Quarter of an hour into the half another backrow play off a scrum close to the home side's line gave Madelin his second score. Finally, a loose ball was scooped up by Jake Savage following some scrappy play, to give the outside centre a try. Unfortunately all the second half tries were unconverted. Not quite out of the woods there then!

A very pleasing display by the lads and one to boost the morale going into next weeks appointment with our visitors from the south-west, Bath. A very big step up in terms of physical confrontation and speed of both play and thought process. One to be looked forward to with relish!

The kick-off has been brought forward to 1pm with the possibility of playing on the main pitch if the weather is favourable. Don't hold your breath, given the forecast!