Senior Academy Match Report V Birmingham University (Away) Sat 29/10/2005 

Birmingham Uni. Freshers 14 Moseley Colts 15 - 29th October 2005

Bournbrook was the venue for this annual fixture and with added spice this season because as well as the students being under the guidance of our colleague Terry Malins (Moseley’s 2nd/Dev and Under 17 coach), the Moseley squad featured 5 University freshers. A day when some pleasantries might be exchanged perhaps!

Moseley was quickly on top at the start and, playing into the wind, forced a penalty inside the opposition 22. Electing to play through the forwards the forwards twice recycled the ball and released tit o the backs for Matt Durber to touch down. The kick was unsuccessful.

Within 5 minutes the Uni. had been awarded a penalty of its own and three points were duly added. Eight minutes gone and the score stood at 3-5.

More Moseley pressure followed, the students were having trouble coping with it and conceded a further penalty. Once again the kick was spurned in favour of using the pack and once again it was successful. A couple of phases and the grateful recipient this time was Ollie Edwards. Unfortunately no conversion followed.

Almost as a replay of what had gone before, the home side increased its points tally with a penalty. Twenty minutes into the game and with the score at 6-10.

Moseley was definitely having the better of it and so it continued with pressure forcing yet another penalty. No prizes for guessing that the visitors again went for a try rather than the kick and Edwards was again over the line but once again the conversion was missed.

Although the score was still close at 6-15 the make-up of the points told the story, - 2 penalties to 3 tries. It was around the half hour mark that the game began to change when on a line-out deep in its own half, Moseley chose to run the ball out. However this was done badly, the ball was spilt and the students eagerly took the opportunity to record the Uni’s first try which was unconverted.

Somewhat knocked out of their stride Moseley infringed at a breakdown and from 40 metres the Uni. kicker brought his side to within 1 point of the visitors.

The second half was a poor affair and no more scores arrived, although Moseley should have registered another try from a well worked lineout but the ball was knocked on in the final pass. The Uni. for their part came more into the game and only resolute defence prevented them scoring.

However frustrations with refereeing decisions particularly at the break down was encouraging the aforementioned pleasantries to come to the fore, finally leading to a mass brawl. A pity because the game was competitive and deserved better.

The Colts next fixture is this Saturday at Billesley when the opposition will be Lichfield in the 3rd round of the Nat. Cup.