Senior Academy Match Report V Bedford (Home) Sat 01/10/2005 

Moseley Colts 29 Bedford Colts 12 - October 01 2005

Not all the exciting rugby fare was being displayed in the main arena yesterday because this years U19`s squad were showing their skills on the adjacent pitch.

Meetings with this weeks opponents are generally of a high calibre and this was no exception, but whereas during the past two years Moseley have been slow to adapt to a fast game, this time they were out of their blocks running.

Playing up the slope and against the wind, Moseley were awarded an early free kick. Debutant scrum half James Homer took it quickly bringing his forwards into action and two sharp recycles later the ball was being touched down by openside Lee Madelin.  40 seconds on the clock and the 5-0 scoreline showed that the players had learnt the lesson of starting well.

Moseley continued to take the game to Bedford even though slope and wind were against them and only sound defence prevented a further home score.

The opposition were looking to run the ball at every opportunity that presented and the game was therefore keenly fought, but Moseley’s defensive pressure meant that the ball was spilt on a number of occasions and no continuity was available to Bedford.

One mistake however, leading to a turnover around Moseley’s 10 metres, led to a rapid attack on the home line, and a series of penalties gave Bedford a converted try a little against the run of play. A succession of good plays by the home side now led to a penalty close to Bedford’s line and a well rehearsed forward play led to Madelin securing his 2nd try of the game.

Half time 10-7 to Moseley, which against this opposition, the wind and slope is very good going!

Playing the slope well, Moseley spent the first 10 minutes of the 2nd half pressing the Bedford line without points to show for it.

The pressure was bound to tell however and a poor relieving kick dropped short to Ollie Edwards who needed no further invitation to attack the line and feed Jake Savage the scoring pass.

Four minutes later the scoreboard was again in action as Moseley secured good possession to again free Edwards around the Bedford 22 to score a well deserved try which he converted.

The game had assumed a pattern of Moseley pressure through varied attacks and it wasn’t long before the next score arrived with more good phases of play being finished off with a Matt Larkin try, Edwards again converting.

With 15 minutes to go and several substitutions having been made, Moseley’s shape was lost for a short spell and, showing that they hadn’t given up on the game, Bedford came back with a converted try to make it 29-14.The final stages were fairly evenly matched and no more scores arrived.

A good competitive game which pleased players, coaches and supporters alike.