Junior Academy Match Report V Towcestrians (W) (1/4 F) (Away) Sun 25/02/2007 

National Under 17 Competition, Divisional Quarter Final.
Towcestrians 5 Moseley 12. 25th Feb. 07
The pitch did little to help either side – it was a mud patch. Early pressure from Towcestrians (unbeaten in two years) pegged Moseley back and successive line-outs close to the visitors’ try line resulted in a catch and drive score for the home team. The catcher was held in the air long enough to allow a maul to form around him, which gave no opportunity for Moseley to organise effectively and defend what is, at best, a dubious tactic. The referee told our captain that “he had told them about it now” but the score stood. The try was unconverted.
Moseley were finding it difficult to get any sort of rhythm into their play until a slight change in emphasis by our forwards and some astute tactical kicking by Alex Warner meant Towcestrians were finally put under some pressure in their own 22. From a position just left of their posts, Tows tried to kick clear following a ruck, only for the kick to be charged down by Warner. Somewhat luckily the ball rebounded straight into the arms of Josh McPherson who sprinted over the line and had the good sense to get under the posts making the conversion a formality. At half time the score remained 5–7 despite some very heavy pressure on the home team by an increasingly dominant Moseley effort.
The second half began with Moseley still in the ascendancy but struggling to convert their pressure into points. Ultimately, though, more pressure on a defensive kick by Tows saw Moseley running back at them with purpose. In the best passage of play of a match otherwise fragmented by the atrocious conditions, Moseley put together a move of great continuity and with some deft off loads and good decision making they cut through the home defence for Warner to go over with an unconverted try.
From this winning position Moseley contrived to make things difficult for themselves and the previous good discipline and decision making gave way to some blind panic as the opposition came back strongly. With Moseley penned back in their 22, some heroic defence, at more (now fully legal) catch and drive line outs kept Tows at bay and forced them into errors. From one such incident, a huge fly hack and chase by replacement winger Scott Boulton took Moseley well up the field and the game finished with Moseley back in the Tows 22 and threatening their line. Moseley Colts now progress to the divisional semi final, opponents to be notified. - Simon Bartlett


p.s. The North Midlands Cup Semi Final match against Luctonians has been moved to Sunday March 18th