Senior Academy Match Report V Lichfield (Away) Sat 10/09/2011 

North Midlands Colts League


Lichfield 14 – Moseley 25


It did not take long for Moseley to face the sterner test that was mentioned in the last report. The conditions were similar to last week – a rock hard pitch and a strong wind, only this time the opposition were not going to be blown away.


Moseley kicked of with the wind at their backs and marginally had the better of the opening exchanges. An early penalty saw Moseley accept the three points on offer.


The forwards soon found out that they were in a contest, with Lichfield competing strongly for any loose ball. Lichfield continued to press and were rewarded when a good passing move, aided by several missed tackles, allowed them to break through the defence for the opening try.


Moseley started to settle into the game and although the home team were able to add three points to their tally with a well taken penalty, the visitors continued to press and were rewarded with a penalty of their own. The forwards were enjoying a period of territorial advantage and with a ruck just short of the Lichfield 22 Moseley secured good quick ball. It was passed out to the wing where Curtis  Wellington was allowed to use his pace to cross the line and touch down underneath the posts.


A second Moseley try came soon afterwards, again the forwards securing good ball allowing the backs to make good the opportunity, although they did try their best to waste a three on one advantage!


A fortuitous off side gave Lichfield three more points to leave the score 11 – 20 as the half time whistle blew.


The deficit was cut by a further three points shortly after the restart, before Lichfield had to be at their best to keep a promising Moseley move at bay. Now with the wind at their back the home side started to dominate both possession and territory. Camped deep in the Moseley half they passed the ball, recycled well at the breakdown and had the best passage of play by either side, for almost quarter of an hour. It is to Moseley’s credit that the defence only looked like being breached once before they relieved the pressure with a well taken penalty that reached touch deep into the Lichfield half.


Neither team was having the best of days on their own lineout, but this time Moseley got the ball off the top, passed well across the backs and finished the move off with a well taken try in the far corner.


Lichfield’s heads appeared to drop and they did not all seem ready for the restart - allowing Moseley once more to attack. Only some last ditch defending prevented another score. There was one more spark left in the home team when a deep clearance set up a long chase. The retreating Moseley defence, visibly tiring, just managed to get to the ball first and scramble it clear.


Both teams appeared to have given their all, with the final five minutes being played in the middle of the park, before the referee blew for the final score to read Lichfield 14 Mosley 25





Backs:  T. Johnson, J. McLaren, J. Oliver, J. Jones, C. Wellington, B. Morgan, D. Brazier


Forwards:  J. Lawless Fisher, E Price, A. Cotton, B. Meadows, A. Yusuf, J. Coleman, J Baillie, S. Dacres


Replacements:  A. Brown, A. Bromley, L. Brooks, R. Biddle




Tries  (10 mins)

Penalties  x 3




Curtis Wellington (25 mins)

Thomas Johnson (29 mins)

Jack McLaren (62 mins)



Ben Morgan x 2



Ben Morgan x 2