Senior Academy Match Report V Whitchurch (Home) Sat 17/09/2011 

North Midlands Colts League


Moseley 25 - Whitchurch 5


Moseley went in to the game following 2 wins but expecting a bigger test for their pack against a side known to play through their forwards, so the late withdrawal of 3 of the pack forced Moseley in to changes they could ill afford and meant that winger Jack Mclaren was asked to play as a flanker a role he filled well. Moseley started the game kicking up hill and soon put pressure on Whitchurch at the breakdown and line outs. However the test was always going to be the scrum and the Moseley front three of James Lawless- Fisher, Bruno Ulmkalns and Alex Coton were up for the challenge and drove Whitchurch backwards to win the ball against the head and set up a break that was only faulted by a pass behind the supporting winger.
Moseley had set the scrum conditions and continued to dominate and from a quick scrum the ball was moved with pace forward and across the line for winger Lance Brooks to step in side and avoid two tackles to score the first try which was converted well by Ben Morgan 7-0. Moseley then started to give away a number of penaltys for offside at the rucks allowing Whitchurch to gain ground and cause some opening but thankfully the defence held strong. Then on 20 minutes Whitchurch conceded a penalty in front of their posts when under pressure by Josh Colemen and Ulmlalns which Morgan converted 10-0. Moseley then lost Tommy Johnson to injury and he was replaced by Jordan Oliver at full back.
Whitchurch then had a 5 minute period of play where they should have scored but as they passed the ball down the line to the far touchline, it allowed Moseley to get numbers back and hold the ball up. Whitchurch then had a break in the centre but a double up tackle by Dave Brazier and Coton brought that to an end and as the Whitchurch player knocked on, he fell in pain on the floor and the game was held up for 30 minutes while the ambulance arrived with the player having a suspected broken ankle. As a result of this, the referee and Management of both teams agreed to reduce the length of the match to the minimum to produce a valid result.
The game then went through a period of mistakes by both sides until the half time.
After the break, Moseley started slowly and giving away more penalty's resulted in Whitchurch scoring in the corner to reduce the score to 10-5 as the conversion was missed. This seemed to wake Moseley up and from the restart Brazier and Coton forced a penalty in front of the posts for holding on, however, Coton had to leave the field with a nasty cut to his head. Morgan converted to take the score to 13-5. Again Whitchurch applied some pressure and only good defending prevented them going over the line again. Morgans kicking in the second half was a welcome relief at times and with Moseley forcing Whitchurch to throw long ball at the line outs to prevent Ben Meadows winning their ball, this worked in Moseley's favour and from a line out a ball was worked across the backs and switched inside for Chris Fensome to score under the posts with Morgan converting to take the score to 20-5. Moseley had opened up the gap needed and a little while later the best move of the game came with Meadows winning the ball at the line out and with all the backs passing and moving across the line Ross Biddle picked a great line to cut back across and dart inside to score his debut try again with Morgan converting.
Special mention should go to Layton Bartlan who was asked to play in the second row for the first time and he did not let the pack or the team down and also Ben Meadows who causes a lot of disruption for the opposition at the line outs and mauls.
J. Lawless-Fisher, B. Ulmkalns, A. Coton, B. Meadows, L. Bartlan, A. Bromley, J. Mclean, J. Coleman
D. Brazier (C), B. Morgan, J. Gravestock, J. Jones, C. Fensome, L. Brooks, T. Johnson
R. Biddle, J. Oliver, S. Dacres.
Trys - Brooks, Fensome, Biddle
Cons - Morgan x 3
Pens - Morgan x 2