Senior Academy Match Report V Old Halesonians (Home) Sat 01/10/2011 

North Midlands Colts League


Moseley 42 – Old Halesonians 13


It was probably the warmest 1st October in recent memory, a day more suited to playing cricket than a full blown rugby match. It was good to see some friendly faces who had turned up to watch (including Tom Sankey and especially Bruno, who was feeling tired!)


Moseley kicked off into the breeze and soon started to put pressure on the Halesonian defence. Winning several turnover ball the home team spent much of the first ten minutes in the opposition half without creating any clear opportunities. But from a line out inside the Halesonian 22 Moseley secured the ball and drove it forward before passing to the backs. Halesonians just managed to repel the first wave of the attack but quick recycling allowed the ball to be passed out wide again, allowing Lance Brooks to cross the line for the opening score in the right hand corner. 


Moseley increased the lead following a line out which they took short and ran down the line, before passing infield and were awarded a penalty on the 22 in front of the posts. The wind had picked up a little but Ben Morgan made no mistake.


Moseley soon found themselves under pressure and from a scrum in front of their own posts were forced into giving a penalty and an easy three points to Halesonians.


With just over ten minutes remaining before the break, Moseley had a player sent to the bin for a reckless tackle. However they still maintained pressure and from a Halesonian scrum deep inside their own 22 the attempted clearance was sliced across field. The ball was gathered and Curtis Wellington had a fairly easy run in for his first try of the afternoon.


Halesonians quickly recovered and started to make more of their man advantage. A catch and drive from a lineout just inside the 22 proved to be effective as Moseley were powerless to prevent a pushover try.


Halesonian were soon back, deep inside Moseley territory, and tried the same tactic on the other side of the pitch. This time Moseley prevented the score, but at the cost of a second yellow. Another line out to Halesonian, another catch and drive and Moseley were again powerless to prevent the score. The conversion attempt was missed and the referee blew the whistle for half time with the scores level at 13 points each.



Unusually the Moseley team returned to the dressing room during the interval, no doubt it was for a bit more than a gentle team talk. Whatever, they came out in the second half and, despite being a man down for the first ten minutes, took the game to the opposition.


A period of sustained pressure was rewarded with a penalty on the right wing on the Halesonian 5 metre line. With the defenders talking amongst themselves they were slow to react to a quick tap, the ball being passed into the centre for Jamie Wale to touch down under the posts, Ben Morgan successfully adding the extras.

More Moseley pressure followed with good running, breaking through tackles and ball retention. It was an easy decision to take the three points on offer from a penalty in front from close range – Morgan making no mistake.


Moseley continued to dominate. Maybe some better decision making of when to pass (instead of trying to jink round just one more defender) would have resulted in more points, it is hard to say. Little matter for now though, as the superior pressure and speed resulted in a second try for Curtis Wellington as well as the bonus point for Moseley.


From the restart Moseley knocked on which allowed Halesonian to spend a little time in attacking, advancing into the Moseley 22. An intercept by Moseley was followed by a good run from deep by Jamie Wale. His pass to the wing kept the momentum going and with support streaming forward, smart passing and great moves it was left to Myles Hibbs to finish the best move of the match under the posts, Morgan again adding the extra two points.


A period of broken and scrappy play followed before once more Moseley pressure started to build. Good ball from a scrum allowed Chris Fensome to score out wide on the right. Ben Morgan with perhaps the best spot kick of the afternoon bought the score to Moseley 42 Old Halesonians 13 which very soon became the result as the referee blew for full time.


Credit to both sides for an open game of rugby. Moseley should be able to take heart from the second half performance, with the distribution of Dave Brazier being worthy of mention.


They face a much tougher prospect next week with a visit to Worcester for a top of the table clash – they will need to be at their best.



Backs; L Brooks, C Wellington, J Wale, J Jones, C Harris, B Morgan, D Brazier


Forwards; J Lawless Fisher, J Baillie, A Coton, J Coleman, T Dalton, H Pitt, M Hibbs, B Meadows


Replacements; J Adjayi, A Brown, C Owen, C Fensome, B O’Brien, J McLaren



Lance Brooks (10 min.)

Curtis Wellington (22 min, 57 min.)

Jamie Wale (42 min.)

Myles Hibbs (60 min.)

Chris Fensome (69 min.)



Ben Morgan (x3)



Ben Morgan (x2)