Senior Academy Match Report V Stourbridge (Home) Sat 22/10/2011 

North Midlands Colts League


Moseley 66  Stourbridge 14


With the First XV playing at home the U19 Colts were playing on the Common. Moseley kicked off with a strong wind behind them but the opening exchanges went the way of the visitors. However Moseley stole the ball from a Stourbridge line out just inside their own half and the pace of Jack Jones was more than enough for the opening try under the posts, with Ben Morgan kicking the extras.


Stourbridge restarted with a difficult kick into the wind. The ball was gathered by Lance Brooks who evaded a couple of tackles before outpacing the Stourbridge players in a run to the line, scoring a second try under the post with Morgan again being successful.


A period of broken play followed with good pressure from Moseley and solid defending from Stourbridge. It was not long though before Moseley were on the score sheet again. This time Dave Brazier picked up from the back of a scrum on the Stourbridge 22 and running down the blind side found little to prevent him scoring in the right hand corner. Morgan skilfully read the wind to slot home from out wide.


From the restart Moseley gathered the ball, passing out to the left wing and again at pace got up to the 22.Moseley spilled the ball, but after a couple of interchanges soon had a free kick at close range. A quick tap and the ball was passed to James Lawless Fisher who crashed through the defence for the 4th try and a bonus point, with Morgan again being successful.


Stourbridge started to mount some pressure of their own, but Moseley were up to the task, Securing turnover ball and after some good inter-passing the ball was sent out to the left for Jordan Oliver to use his pace to cross the line.


Stourbridge once more started to put pressure on inside the Moseley half, but a long clearance took play back towards their 22. Penned deep in their own territory, Stourbridge sliced a clearance into the wind from close to their own try line. The ball was gathered and after a couple of passes infield it was left to Aaaron Brown to force his way over from close range, with Morgan again collecting the conversion.


Stourbridge kept going and with half time looming they had an extended period inside the Moseley 22. Driving forward they were stopped short of the line but recycled the ball well. They kept battering the Mosley line defence and their persistence was rewarded following a quickly taken penalty and a deserved try. A successful conversion made the score at half time to 40 – 7


Stourbridge kicked off for the second half. Moseley now playing into the wind successfully gathered but perhaps being a little adventurous made a present of the ball in a turnover to Stourbridge. Quick ball and good pressure allowed the overlap and Stourbridge to score a second try in as many minutes, again successfully converted.


With their tails up and the wind behind them Stourbridge had their best passage of play, spending an extended period deep inside Mosley territory. The home side seemed a little rattled but managed to contain the resurgent opposition. From winning the ball at the line out the Moseley forwards secured the ball and made progress up field, before getting the ball out to the back line. Some smart passing saw the ball passed to the right wing where Jamie Wale burst through a ran half the length of the pitch to score under the posts, again Morgan collecting the additional two points


From the restart Moseley mounted another attack but a knock on gave Stourbridge a scrum on their own 22. Although they secured their own ball, good pressure from the Moseley side forced a mistake and allowed Dave Brazier to steal the ball and run down the left wing to score the eighth try. Kicking into the wind and from a tight angle the conversion was missed.


A period of scrappy and broken play followed with the ball being kept around the middle of the pitch. The ball was with Ben Morgan on the right hand side of the pitch who realised there was no one covering behind the Stourbridge line. His clever kick over the top to the left hand side allowed Jack McLaren to run onto the ball to score under the posts for another converted try.


From the restart Moseley once more gathered the ball and soon found themselves in the Stourbridge in goal area, this time Myles Hibbs touching down. The conversion from Morgan took the score to 66 – 14, beyond the 50 point margin and bringing the contest to a conclusion and the official result.


Both teams agreed to carry on playing, there being some 15 minutes left on the clock. Stourbridge scored a consolation try after much good work on the left hand side. Moseley were not yet done and scored two more trys, the first from Ben Morgan who collected an overthrow from a Moseley line out to run in almost unopposed, the second from the restart with some good Moseley handling and passing allowing the Jack Jones to finish off before the ref blew the whistle



Backs; L Brooks, C Wellington, J Oliver, J Jones, J McLaren, B Morgan, D Brazier


Forwards; J Lawless Fisher, J Baillie, A Coton, J Coleman, B Meadows, M Hibbs, H Pitt, A Heron


Replacements; E Price, C Owen, A Brown, J Wale, R Biddle



 Jack Jones (3 mins)

 Lance Brooks (5 mins)

 Dave Brazier (15 mins)

 James Lawless Fisher (18 mins)

 Jordan Oliver (23 mins)

 Aaron Brown (28 mins)

 Ben Morgan (44 mins)

 Dave Brazier (51 mins)

 Jack McLaren (54 mins)

 Myles Hibbs (55 mins )



Ben Morgan (x 8)