Senior Academy Match Report V Worcester (Home) Sat 17/12/2011 

North Midlands Colts League

Moseley 13 Worcester 19


Following on from the heavy defeat against a ‘professional’ academy side last week, and a victory in a match that they might have lost the week before, it is perhaps not so shocking that the U19 Colts lost a match this week that they could (perhaps should) have won.


Moseley started brightly enough. Playing on the common with a strong wind at their backs and playing down hill they gathered the ball from Worcester’s kick and were soon in the visitors half. With both side trying to settle Moseley had the early territorial advantage. Worcester missed an attempted kick to touch from a penalty which was safely gathered by Curtis Wellington who immediately started to run up field. The ball got as far as half way when from a ruck the ball was quickly recycled and passed to the right wing. A couple of missed tackles by Worcester and the pace of Chris Fensome was all that was required for him to cross for the opening score.


The next period of play was mainly in Worcester territory, no doubt due to the wind as well as Moseley pressure. Some tit for tat kicking and running replies went on, before a well worked move and good recycling by Worcester on their left wing created an overlap on the right and allowed them to run in from the half way line.


Much of the rest of the first period was played in the visitors half, with the occasional break out by Worcester. Moseley continued to press but were denied any clear scoring opportunity by a mixture of dogged defending, aided by persistent offending at the breakdown, some of which was noticed by the referee and some that was not.


Worcester managed to clear their lines and run the ball forward, but were penalised for holding on. With the clock ticking down Ben Morgan stepped up to take the kick from 10 metres inside Worcester territory to take the score to 8 – 5 in the home teams favour. Moseley had time to visit the Worcester five metre line a couple more times, but did not take advantage either situation, before the referee blew for half time.


Much of the early play of the second half was spent between the two 22 lines with both sides trying to carry the ball, usually ending in a breakdown. The main difference was the wind giving Worcester the advantage in any kicking situation.


Moseley tried hard to maintain the pressure and were rewarded from Worcester line out on their ten metre line. Worcester won the ball of the top, but the quick Mosley forwards broke through and managed to win a turnover. The ball was quickly passed to the back line and good handling, passing the ball to the other wing allowed Ryan Miller to run in for a second try.


Worcester applied pressure from the restart and were rewarded with a penalty which was taken to touch, on the Moseley 5 metre line. The visitors secured the ball and tried to drive for the line but the defence was holding firm. A scrum resulted to Worcester from which they secured the ball and drove once more. This time, with a bit of fortune on their side they were allowed to cross the line. The successful conversion brought the visitors within one point.


Moseley were soon on their own restart and were pressurising Worcester inside their 22. However a long clearance carried on the wind and with the ball rolling deep into the home territory a knock on whilst gathering the ball gave Worcester the scrum on the five metre line. Moseley defence again was strong, but a quickly taken tap penalty resulted in another drive for a try and subsequent conversion.


Worcester were prepared to defend their position, and Moseley, becoming more frustrated with some of the refereeing decisions, were not helping themselves. The home team did manage to mount a late period of pressure and with a couple of penalties were gaining ground inside the 22. However a missed pass and knock on from Worcester allowed the referee to blow for full time.


The result leaves the league title in the balance, with Worcester having the upper hand through more bonus points.



Backs: C Fensome, R Millar, S Shepherd, J Jones, C Wellington, B Morgan, D Brazier

Forwards:  P Clark, J Lawless Fisher, A Coton, B Meadows, A Yousaf, M Hibbs, H Pitt, E Matthews

Replacements: A Brown, J Ajayi, J Baillie, T Dalton, J McLaren, J Lynch, R George



Chris Fensome (4 mins)

Ryan Miller (50 mins)



Ben Morgan (x1)