Under 14 Match Report V Kidderminster (Away) Sun 13/11/2011 


Kidderminster 0 – 21 Moseley (Half time 0-7)



Following an impeccably observed two minutes silence on this Remembrance Sunday a glorious game of rugby broke out under the late autumnal sun. Make no mistake, this was a proper game. Kidderminster asked no quarter and played hard rugby right to the end. Perhaps the finest achievement for Moseley was in not conceding although this was often too close for comfort.

The game started with Kidderminster pressure, and the scrums were initially controlled by the home side. Despite this the forwards put up staunch resistance and gradually started to give the backs some ball. There were several heavy tackles put in, notably by Jeavon, Kobe and Nick, with Fitzy and Dan Coakley winning good ball in the line-out.

Half-way through the first half a good forward move down the left wing led to good possession which found its way to Jack Lester who broke the line brilliantly to register the first score on the corner. Brandon landed a difficult conversion with ease.

Kiddy came right back and came close to scoring several times. Again, great tackling from Brandon (little guy who played full back) and Ewan Bell prevented points whilst Cavan and Jack were repeatedly felled by strong opposition tackles.

A great first half led to an even better second, with the Moseley pack gradually gaining control, Harry winning a couple against the head. The backs were beginning to find some space, great runs from John Byrne were beginning to create some space in the mid-field.

This inevitably led to another Lester try, in the corner. Brandon again slotted with aplomb.

Many teams would have folded at this point but Kiddy kept on coming. It was great to watch, both sides breaking the tackle line, both sides defending ferociously. Typical of this endeavour
was one man-size tackle by Dan Coakley which left the opposition centre wishing he’d stayed in bed.

Jack finally broke the resistance with a great try under posts following great forward play, a thrilling run from Brandon which he finished by throwing an outrageous pass giving Jack the equivalent of a tap-in.
Apologies for those I haven’t mentioned as this was a tremendous team effort, with everyone fully deserving of praise. The outstanding performance came from Archie at scrum-half, making the most of limited possession and giving his opposite number a torrid time. Despite not being his regular position, we discovered that Archie is, in fact, the tallest scrum half in the squad.

So, a big well done to everyone involved I look forward to the next thrilling instalment.

 A special mention must go to two players who were unable to attend today’s fixture, Adam Boot and Greg Naptin. They both attended Armistice Day parades with their relevant cadet squads (Adam in Rubery and Greg in Shirley). - Fitzy Snr