Senior Academy Match Report V Bedford Academy (Home) Sat 14/01/2012 


Moseley 12  Bedford Academy 62


Moseley U 19’s took on the Bedford academy in a ‘friendly’ match played on the crumb.


Moseley kicked off, Bedford gathered and quickly got to the half way line. Good Mosley pressure forced a knock on and scrum to the home team. However the referee blew for an infringement and the resultant free kick was taken short by Bedford, who made quick progress up to the 22 before gaining a penalty in their favour. The ball was kicked to touch on the 5 metre line, the lineout was easily caught and a successful drive gave Bedford the opening try. If they didn’t already know, Mosley had soon found out what they were up against.


Bedford were proving to be better drilled and more powerful in the scrum and line out, although Moseley were holding their own at the breakdown. Making the most of any slight opportunity Bedford scored three more tries.


Good Moseley pressure from a restart forced Bedford to concede a penalty in front, just inside the 22. The kick was missed and from the resulting drop out the ball went to touch for a Mosley line out. Once again Bedford caught the ball from the Mosley throw. Passed off the top the ball was soon into the centre and Bedford were through, to score from half way.


Moseley were not giving up. After the restart they had a five minute period of possession, visiting Bedford’s 5 metres a couple of times but were unable to unlock a resolute defence. Eventually Bedford were able to clear their lines with a penalty, kicked to touch. In almost a carbon copy of the previous try they passed the ball off the top and broke through for their 6th try of the afternoon. The conversion was missed and the referee blew for half time, the score line reading 0 – 38


The early exchanges of the second half were taking place in the Mosley half, but the home team were up to the task, keeping the attacks at bay. Following a penalty kicked to touch Moseley had a line out just outside their own 22. Coming more to terms with the Bedford threat, the ball was secured, passed off the top and out the back line. Passing from right to left wings the ball was in the hands of Ryan Miller who exploited the small gap that he had been given and leaving the Bedford academy in his wake, ran three quarters the length of the pitch to score.


The next 15 minutes belonged to Moseley, with most of the play being in Bedford’s half of the pitch. The visitors continued to dominate the line out which reduced Moseley’s chances of making an impression. They did make it to the 5 metre area, and were stopped short a couple of times, but could not create a clear scoring opportunity.


The period of play belonged to the home team, until Bedford kicked a long clearance into the Mosley half, with a foot race resulting in a penalty to the visitors just outside the 22. Taken quickly and with limited Moseley cover Bedford once again made good their opportunity to score their 7th try.


Moseley continued to give their all, but visibly tiring, Bedford ran in another 3 tries in quick succession.


Bedford had been a constant threat, continually winning or disrupting the Mosley scrum, a constant danger at the line out and wasting few, if any, scoring opportunities.


But Moseley were not yet done. They had a scrum just inside their own 22 which they won. The ball was passed down the line with Chris Fensome and Sam Shepherd combining well before releasing John Hale to make the most of his pace, ghosting past a defender before sprinting up field. Ryan Millar was in support and a well timed pass inside allowed him to run in from the 22 to score. The move was applauded by Bedford coaches and players alike, admitting it was no more than Moseley deserved. Ben Morgan kicked the conversion, for the referee to blow the final whistle.


A heavy defeat such as this can lead to many negatives. But it is the writers opinion that the U19 colts can take positives from this performance. Hopefully they will take these into the next couple of games, both cup matches, in the local and national competitions.


Congratulations to Jack Lea and John Hammond who stepped up from the under 17s for this match and performed with credit, as did fellow debutant Tom Short. Dave Brazier was his normal busy self and constantly pressurised his opposite number at their scrum, and special mention to the back three of Chris Fensome, Ryan Miller and Curtis Wellington. The whole team deserve credit for giving their all for the full 70 minutes




Forwards: James Lawless-Fisher, James Baillie, Alex Coton, Tom Dalton, Tom Short, Connor Ward, Hayden Pitt, Aidan Heron

Backs: Dave Brazier (capt), Ben Morgan, Curtis Wellington, John Hale, Sam Shepherd, Ryan Millar, Chris Fensome

Replacements: Aaron Brown, Jack Lea, Pat Clark, Adam Bromley, Jack McLaren, John Hammond.



Ryan Miller (x2)



Ben Morgan